Barry Marx

Default Lost Excel 5 files after upgrade to Officel 2003

I upgraded from Excel5 and Word6 to Office10 - everything OK. Then I
upgraded to Office 2003 - now I can not find any of my old data. No Word and
no Excel files.

If I reinstal the original Word6 and Excel5 programmes will I then be able
to access old files?

Otherwise, where can I find them on my PC?

Barry
Kassie

Hi Barry

Upgrading should not have any effect on your data files. Have you had a
look in Windows explorer, under the folder where you stored these files?
Maybe run a search to find them? Click on Start|Search, search for files and
folders, and type in the names of these files.
--
ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"Barry Marx" wrote:

I upgraded from Excel5 and Word6 to Office10 - everything OK. Then I
upgraded to Office 2003 - now I can not find any of my old data. No Word and
no Excel files.

If I reinstal the original Word6 and Excel5 programmes will I then be able
to access old files?

Otherwise, where can I find them on my PC?

Barry

Barry Marx

Thanks Kassie - that worked. The problem is remembering the contents of
different files. Somewhere there must be a file list. At the moment if I go
to "File" all I find are documents and spreadsheets created after the
conversion.

While it's now reassuring to know they are all in there somewhere, how do I
get them to show up on the "file" in Office 2003?

Cheers

Barry

"Barry Marx" wrote:

I upgraded from Excel5 and Word6 to Office10 - everything OK. Then I
upgraded to Office 2003 - now I can not find any of my old data. No Word and
no Excel files.

If I reinstal the original Word6 and Excel5 programmes will I then be able
to access old files?

Otherwise, where can I find them on my PC?

Barry

Bryan Hessey

Where did you store your files?

They should still be there unless you stored them in a program folder,
said program folder having been removed during the upgrade.

Try a search (right-mouse the Start button, select EXPLORE, then
right-mouse on the C: drive and select Search

Enter the first part of one of your files, ie for MyFile.Doc you can
put MyF*.*
and then click the Search.

You should always keep a separate copy of your files, what will you do
if your C: breaks and is replaced with a new one?

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390145

Kassie

Hi Barry,

You do not say where you found them? If they are in a different folder to
the one housing your new files, I would suggest moving them across. If they
are in the same folder, but you cannot see them, then under File Open, change
the file type to whatever version of Excel you created them in - click on
files of type down arrow, and scroll down the list. If you do not find a
suitable type, change the file type to *.* All Files. That's just above your
default file type, and see if you can open them. Once you have opened them,
make sure you save them as current version files, so that they are always
available.
--

"Barry Marx" wrote:

I upgraded from Excel5 and Word6 to Office10 - everything OK. Then I
upgraded to Office 2003 - now I can not find any of my old data. No Word and
no Excel files.

If I reinstal the original Word6 and Excel5 programmes will I then be able
to access old files?

Otherwise, where can I find them on my PC?

Barry

Barry Marx

Hullo Again - I have been exploring and have found the original Word6 and
Excel5 programmes. When I click to open them I get the message Microsft Word
(or Excel) has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to
install the application.

How do I do that?

Cheers

Barry

"Barry Marx" wrote:

I upgraded from Excel5 and Word6 to Office10 - everything OK. Then I
upgraded to Office 2003 - now I can not find any of my old data. No Word and
no Excel files.

If I reinstal the original Word6 and Excel5 programmes will I then be able
to access old files?

Otherwise, where can I find them on my PC?

Barry

Barry Marx

I found the original Programmes are in:- my computer/c
drive/programmes/office 10/ excel and word (the old design icons)

If I click open I get the message described earlier.

I can right click the icons and select - run as - and I get achoice of user.
I have tried various and appropriate password for the current user mode but
still cant access.

The actual documents I found by taking your advice and searching for a known
key word in the file name.

This is a typical result

c:\Documents and Settings\Otenz\My Documents\Rotary Youth Art Festival\2005
Project.

Otenz is my company name and the previous user name.

If I go the File/Open -in Word2003 or Excel 2003 I can't access any of the
old files no matter what route I select. Infact I can't find the path as
above.

When I try to open the old programmes I see they are labelled as unistalled
version/unknown user.

I am not an computer buff so it's not that easy. I think I may give up soon
and lug the box off to a guru tomorrow ( well actually it's tomorrow now !

Cheers

Barry

"Kassie" wrote:

Hi Barry

Don't go back in time my friend. Have you tried my last suggestion?
--

"Barry Marx" wrote:

I upgraded from Excel5 and Word6 to Office10 - everything OK. Then I
upgraded to Office 2003 - now I can not find any of my old data. No Word and
no Excel files.

If I reinstal the original Word6 and Excel5 programmes will I then be able
to access old files?

Otherwise, where can I find them on my PC?

Barry

Barry Marx

Problem Solved. I took the PC to a professional guru and he discovered the
files hidden away with a different path. We now have a link set up. And yes
there were back up floppies stored away in the deep deep litter file (we have
recently retired from biz and have a mammoth storage hassle with 40 years of
records and archives.

Sooo - today we install;ed a DVD burner and another HDD.

Thanks for the help Kassie and Bryan

Regards

Barry (NZ)