tomgillane

Default Cannot access read-only documents.

I have three of many excel spread sheet files that I use and update daily
that I can no longer access. I tried to access these files and I get the
following message: "Cannot access read only document "file-name"". I am on
Excel 2000 and Windows Me. I have checked out the properties on all files.
None of them have the "read only" box ticked and there is only the General
Tab. Also, there is no longer an author for these three files. All the rest
that can be accessed have an author, normal attribute, and have General,
Custom, Summary tabs. I do not recall doing anything different. I ran a
virus scan on the files with no viruses indicated. Can anybody help me? I
tried my last backup file but the backup file have the same problems.
Please help

Earl Kiosterud

Tom,

SOme possibilities: Open them inside with Excel (File - Open), if you've
been opening them by double-clicking them from their folder. If you have
XL2002-up (and maybe 2000, I don't know), try the File - Open dialog, and
open up the Open button and try "Open and repair." Send one or more to
someone else to see if they can open them -- is it the workbooks, or your
Excel? Some other general fix-up things include clearing the Windows\Temp
folder. Try starting Excel with Start - Run - "excel.exe /regserver", then
start it normally. Uncheck "Ignore other applications" in Tools - Options -
General.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"tomgillane" wrote in message
I have three of many excel spread sheet files that I use and update daily
that I can no longer access. I tried to access these files and I get the
following message: "Cannot access read only document "file-name"". I am
on
Excel 2000 and Windows Me. I have checked out the properties on all files.
None of them have the "read only" box ticked and there is only the General
Tab. Also, there is no longer an author for these three files. All the
rest
that can be accessed have an author, normal attribute, and have General,
Custom, Summary tabs. I do not recall doing anything different. I ran a
virus scan on the files with no viruses indicated. Can anybody help me?
tried my last backup file but the backup file have the same problems.
Please help

tomgillane

Earl:

Thanks for the help but nothing seems to work. I tried opening Excel by
File-Open but still get the "Cannot Access..". I do not have an "open and
repair" task on my open button, but I did use the "detect and repair" located
in Help but this did not correct the problem. I tried sending one of the
files to another e-mail as an attachment but it would not allow the file to
be attached. I was uncertain of how to clear the Window/Temp folder. When I
clicked on the Temp folder there were piles of files and folders. I was
afraid that I was deleting something I shouldn't delete. I tried starting
excel by using the Start-Run; after it loaded I still could not access the
files. I attempted the Ignore Other Applications but the Options under the
Tool button was not active. I pulled up a new file and Tool-Option-General
but the Ignore Other Applications was already unchecked. If you can think of
something else, please get back with me. I think I will try reinstalling
Excel.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Earl Kiosterud

Tom,

As for the temp folder, as far as I know, the only time you wouln't want to
remove files is if you've done an install of some program that reboots after
installation. Such installations put stuff in that folder to use after the
reboot. Other than that, I think you can trash everything in it. Press
Ctrl-a to select all, then Shift-Delete (to bypass the recycle bin). Heck,
you can even trash the temp folder -- windows will make another if it wants
it badly enough.
--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

tomgillane

Earl:

What about my original access problem? Is it possible that we can discuss a
solution to my problem via phone? If a charge is required, I would gladely
pay just to get my system working properly. HELP!!!!!!!

Tom

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

tomgillane

Earl:

I cleared my Window/Temp folder but still no luck with the excel files.
Please don't give up on me.

Tom

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Did you reboot your pc?

If yes and you still can't access it, how about using windows explorer and
copying to a new name and opening that copy?

If the file is on a network drive, can you ask your IT folks to reboot that
server?

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Earl Kiosterud

Tom,

We can talk. See www.smokeylake.com/excel. You can send me the files, if
you want, and I'll take a quick look and see if they'll open here. Decode
the email address below (it's encoded to hide it from spambots), or use the
one at my web site.

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

tomgillane

Dave:

Yes, I rebooted after empting the Window/Temp folder. No the file nor the
computer is on a network. This is a desktop personal home PC. I created
another folder and moved the 3 problem files into the new folder; it still
had the same "cannot access ready-only document" problem. I tried coping the
files into another folder and it would not allow me to copy the files into
the new folder. But I can move the 3 files to another folder, but I still
cannot access them. When I tried to copy the files in the new folder I got
the following: "Cannot copy <file name: Access is denied. The source file
may be in use."

When the 3 problem files went bad, why would these 3 files be the only 3 of
the many without an author, and having only the General Tab in the Properties
display? This seems to be the major difference between the operating files
and the 3 non-operating files.

Just a little history on 2 of the 3 problem files. 2 of the problem files
were the only files modified on 01-30-05. On that day we had ice storms that
caused multiple outages. My battery backup failed each time the power went
out causing the computer to have an abnormal shut down. The 3rd problem file
was modified 3 days later; but no abnormal shut downs. Go figure???????

Tom

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Earl Kiosterud

Tom,

Can you copy the files to a CD or diskette, or email them to yourself?
Probably not, but let's try anything we can. If standing up and turning
around three times would do it, I'd say do it!

You might want to post this in a Windows newsgroup.
--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

tomgillane

Earl,

When I first starting having this problem, I tried to save the files to
another folder on my hard drive but it would not allow it to happen. I also
tried to attach the file to an e-mail and mail it to another e-mail address
on a different computer. It would not allow me to do that either. It did
allow me to move the files to a different folder on my hard drive.

Things are starting to change for some reason or another. I am now getting
a new message when trying to access these files. I no longer get "cannot
access read-only <file name". I now get "<file name cannot be accessed.
The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.".

I tried to save one of the files to a 3.5 floppy but the file is too big. I
was able to save the 3 files to a CD and also now can save to a different
location on my hard drive, but when I try to access the files I get the above
new error message. On the CD, the three files are checked read-only but it
will not allow me to uncheck this attribute. When I try to do this I get the
following message: "An error applying attributes to the file: <file name.
Access is denied."

I tried again to e-mail the files as an attachment to another e-mail on
another computer. It now allowed me to do this. I also e-mailed myself to
my computer and was successful. I tried opening the attached file, but in
both cases I continue to get the above new error.

Why do you think the 3 files no longer have an author and the Properties
indicator have a General tab only, and why the Properties indicator no longer
have the Custom and Summary tabs?

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:15:02 -0800, "tomgillane"
wrote:

Things are starting to change for some reason or another. I am now getting
a new message when trying to access these files. I no longer get "cannot
access read-only <file name". I now get "<file name cannot be accessed.
The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.".

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP
Earl Kiosterud

Tom,

Since you can email them, have you sent them to someone else to see if they
can open them? Which version of Excel are you using? That may tell us if
it's the filesl, or your Excel or OS.

Since we're in the tall grass for sure now, try saving the email attachment
as a different name. Then see if it will open.

It appeared first as if the operating system had the file locked. But now
it appears more like the file is damaged.

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

tomgillane

Gord,

Thanks for the help but all of these fixes have been tried. I give up
trying to correct it myself with MS help. I am bringing the computer to a
local PC Repair company. Thanks again for the try.

Tom

wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

You may want to try openoffice. Lots of people have said that it's recovered
workbooks that excel couldn't.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com