Jon1205

Default Linking names

I am wanting first to name a group of cells like A1:F8 and then link that
name to another sheet. I tried to name the group using the equation:
=OFFSET(sheet1!$A$1:$F$8,0,0,COUNTA(sheet1!$A:$A), 6)
Is this the right eqation or am I missing something. Then how do I link
that name to another sheet.

thanks
CyberTaz

Hi Jon-

To name the range, select the group of cells, click the cell reference that
appears in the Name List (left end of the Formula Bar). Type in the name you
want to use (no spaces or punctuation marks) and press enter.

While the range is selected, copy it. Then go to the other location &
right-click the cell where you want the link to be. Choose *Paste Special*
from the popup menu, then click the 'Link' button in the lower left corner of
the Paste Special dialog box.

HTH |:)

"Jon1205" wrote:

I am wanting first to name a group of cells like A1:F8 and then link that
name to another sheet. I tried to name the group using the equation:
=OFFSET(sheet1!$A$1:$F$8,0,0,COUNTA(sheet1!$A:$A), 6)
Is this the right eqation or am I missing something. Then how do I link
that name to another sheet.

thanks

Matt Lunn

I'm not sure if this is what you are intending but your offset formula
results in a range which begins in A1, is 6 columns wide and the number of
entries in column A deep. Can you please let me know why you've used the
range A1:F8 as the start range?

To use the named range in another sheet you can simply type it's name. e.g.
if you wished to add up all numeric entries in a range you could type =
SUM(myRange). How would you be using the range in your other sheet?

Thanks,
Matt

"Jon1205" wrote:

I am wanting first to name a group of cells like A1:F8 and then link that
name to another sheet. I tried to name the group using the equation:
=OFFSET(sheet1!$A$1:$F$8,0,0,COUNTA(sheet1!$A:$A), 6)
Is this the right eqation or am I missing something. Then how do I link
that name to another sheet.

thanks

Jon1205

I am using the offset formula to try and create a dynamic range. I do not
want it to be the number of entries in column A deep. I want the group to be
9 rows deep and 6 columns wide. But I also want it to be dynamic so that it
is possible to add more rows in the future without redefineing the group.

I am having a problem when I link the group to another worksheet. It
doesn't update when I change the value in one cell, and also empty cells
contain zero. Do you have any idea as to how I can fix that problem.

Thanks

Hi,