PokerZan

Default Finding Duplicate Names from Different Lists...

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue finding and deleting off of a current list of
company names, names from another list.

For example I have List 1 that has 3,000-4,000 company names and
contact names. On List 2 I have a list of company names that I need to
take off of List 1. VLOOKUP works to a point, but if on one list the
name ends with "Corp." and on the other it is "Corp" (without the
period) it won't find it. "Inc." and "Inc" are another issue. Is
there a better way than VLOOKUP to find these names?

I've tried to do some name prep, but it can only do so much (with me
wielding "find and replace"). One Issue I am finding is that because
there are so many combinations of for example:

"Fish Heads Incorporated"
"Fish Heads, Inc."
"Fish Heads Inc."
"Fish Heads, Inc"

Even as I type this I go mad trying to figure out how to limit "Find
and Replace".

Any ideas?

Pzan

--
PokerZan
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23480

Bryan Hessey

Perhaps copy the names to a helper column, then select the column and
replace (remove) all dots 'Corporation' 'corp' 'Incorporated' 'Inc' and
other un-required words from the front sheet and then again with hte
VLookUp area

This should provide a better match

--
Bryan Hessey