TBoe

Default Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would I use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4
JulieD

Hi

you can use the following array function (enter it with control & shift &
enter, not just enter):
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10))

where your data is in the range A1:A10

details

--
Cheers
JulieD
"TBoe" wrote in message
I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would I
use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

TBoe

Thanks much for your help Julie. Really appreceite it. I keep coming up
with 0 as the total. There's probably about 15 different names. I'll work
with that formula awile to see if it will solve this. I'm sure it's just me.
Thanks again.

Terry

"TBoe" wrote in message
I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would I
use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

Domenic

Try the following...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&""))

....confirmed with ENTER only, or...

=SUM(IF(A1:A10<"",1/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10)))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"TBoe" wrote:

I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would I use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

JulieD

Hi

are you sure you're using control & shift & enter to enter the formula and
not just enter
have you changed a1:a10 to your actual range?

--
Cheers
JulieD

"TBoe" wrote in message
I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would
use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

TBoe

This is what I did Julie....
Copied and pasted the formula into the formula bar and changed the cell
coordinates
then hit control, shift, enter. Thanks again.

"TBoe" wrote in message
I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would
use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

JulieD

Hi

i don't have any other ideas, do you want to email your workbook so i can
have a look? - send it direct to julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au - it's
11.38pm here so i probably won't get to it until tomorrow.

--
Cheers
JulieD

"TBoe" wrote in message
I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month.
Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion
would
use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank
you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

TBoe

Thanks for you help and offer Julie. I guess it didn't like the copy/paste
method.
I entered it manually. Thanks again!

"TBoe" wrote in message
I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month.
Some
times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion
would
use
to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank
you.

1 Jim
2 stan
3 stan
4 bob
5 Jim
6 Scott

t = 4

JulieD

Hi TBoe

glad it's solved :)

--
Cheers
JulieD

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

you can use the following array function (enter it with control &
shift &
enter, not just enter):
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10))

where your data is in the range A1:A10