Hari

Default Dragging for automatic filling

Hi,

In excel if I have q294bup1 in acell and I drag it down wih mouse
using the handle it updates to q294bup2 and q294bup3 and so on.

On the other hand if I press ctrl and drag it down it doesnt get
updated (remains as q294bup1 in all dragged cells)

Again if I have numbers in a cell like 1 and if I drag it down it
remains as 1 (as opposed to Q294b1 + Dragging). If I press ctrl and
drag the number 1 in a cell it increases to 2, 3 and so on ( ( as
opposed to Q294b1 + Ctrl + Dragging).

Why this different behaviour(s) regarding to dragging vs Ctrl +
dragging depending on what one has in a particular cell

Regards,
Hari
India

Harald Staff

Hi Hari

Sometimes you need one behavior, sometimes you need another. The difference
is there so that you can control it. Try dragging with the right mousebutton
and see what happens.

See also
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...e-fill-handle/
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...andle-secrets/
for more options.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Hari" skrev i melding
oups.com...
Hi,

In excel if I have q294bup1 in acell and I drag it down wih mouse
using the handle it updates to q294bup2 and q294bup3 and so on.

On the other hand if I press ctrl and drag it down it doesnt get
updated (remains as q294bup1 in all dragged cells)

Again if I have numbers in a cell like 1 and if I drag it down it
remains as 1 (as opposed to Q294b1 + Dragging). If I press ctrl and
drag the number 1 in a cell it increases to 2, 3 and so on ( ( as
opposed to Q294b1 + Ctrl + Dragging).

Why this different behaviour(s) regarding to dragging vs Ctrl +
dragging depending on what one has in a particular cell

Regards,
Hari
India

Hari

Hi Harald,

Thanks a lot for the links to Dick' blog. Found them useful.

Sometimes you need one behavior, sometimes you need another.

I agree that we need different behaviours based on different needs. In
this case there are 2 needs, one we want an exact copy of original cell
and second we want the cells to follow some kind of arithmetic
progression. I have both of these needs. But my question is why should
the user behave differently (depending on what is in the cell) for the
same need.

I. To make it clearer suppose I want a COPY of the original cell then
:-
a) if my cell contains numbers then i should drag Fill handle only to
get a COPY of the number.
b) On the other hand if my cell contains a string like "q294b1" and if
i want a copy then I should do Fill handle +Ctrl

II. No, suppose I want a SERIES of the original cell then :-
a) if my cell contains numbers then i should drag Fill handle + ctrl to
get a SERIES of the number.
b) On the other hand if my cell contains a string like "q294b1" and if
i want a SERIES then I should do Fill handle only.

For the same need -- I.a vs I.b) -- behavoiur (Fill handle only vs
Fill handle +Ctrl) is different. The same holds for II.a) vs II.b)

Please throw some light on the same.

Regards,
Hari
India

Harald Staff

Hi Hari

Apologies for not reading your question carefully enough. You are right,
this is inconsistant, confusing and maybe even worth a "bug" status. I guess
I'm just so used to it that I don't think about it anymore <g.

To add to the confusion; put q294b1 in cell A1 and 1 in B1, select both
cells A1:B1 and fill down. They suddenly behave identically.

Best wishes Harald

"Hari" skrev i melding
oups.com...
[...]

Hari

Hi Harald,

To add to the confusion; put q294b1 in cell A1 and 1 in B1, select both
cells A1:B1 and fill down. They suddenly behave identically.

Thats a nice line of inquiry. Didnt consider it.

I tried it with q294b1 in cell B1 and 1 in A1 (thinking it might be a
little different) and its same as q294b1 in cell A1 and 1 in B1.

So in both cases it mirrors as if the string (q294b1) is there in both
cells.

Regards,
Hari
India