Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
crj crj is offline

Default Need Formula to renumber column

I have a sheet that contains 20 tasks that have a column that ranks their
priority 1 thru 20. I need to be able to take task 15 and change the priority
to 3. When the priority changes I want task 15's row to become new row 3; old
row 3 needs to become row 4 and the priority in old row 3/new row four needs
to be changed to 4; ... and so on until row 14 becomes row 15 with a priority
of 15.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
crj crj is offline

But I need to renumber all of the priorities also.

If in row 15 I change the priority to 3 I then have 2 priority 3 tasks - how
do I make old priority 3 - priority 4... 4 changed to 5 ... and so on.

"crj" wrote in message
I have a sheet that contains 20 tasks that have a column that ranks their
priority 1 thru 20. I need to be able to take task 15 and change the
priority
to 3. When the priority changes I want task 15's row to become new row 3;
old
row 3 needs to become row 4 and the priority in old row 3/new row four
needs
to be changed to 4; ... and so on until row 14 becomes row 15 with a
priority
of 15.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would handle this with a helper column.

Add a column with a formula like:
=row()-1
or whatever creates the numbers 1 to 20.

The other column, the one you have now, can then be used to force the rows
to be sorted into the right order. The procedure would be:
-- Change priority from 15 to 2.5
-- Sort the table
-- Now your helper column will have the priorities shown properly.

Regards,
Fred