Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default renumber automatically

I have a numbered waiting list with 500+ members. When someone in the middle
decides to cancel, I would like them to be renumbered automatically. Is this
possible? It isn't diffiecult to clear the numbered column and then use
autofill, but I want something more user friendly for my co-workers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In A1 enter:

=ROW() and copy down

this make a column of numbers. If you delete a row somewhere in the middle,
the column will automatically re-number.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200782

"JICDB" wrote:

I have a numbered waiting list with 500+ members. When someone in the middle
decides to cancel, I would like them to be renumbered automatically. Is this
possible? It isn't diffiecult to clear the numbered column and then use
autofill, but I want something more user friendly for my co-workers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

A1: 1
A2: =A1 + 1

copy down

In article ,
JICDB wrote:

I have a numbered waiting list with 500+ members. When someone in the middle
decides to cancel, I would like them to be renumbered automatically. Is this
possible? It isn't diffiecult to clear the numbered column and then use
autofill, but I want something more user friendly for my co-workers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

JE McGimpsey's suggested didn't exactly work because when I deleted a waiting
list member in the middle it produced a #REF error, which I could easily
correct but not so hands off. Gary's student's suggestion didn't exactly
work because there were header rows and a title row so the first person on
the waiting list #1, was on row 3. So I combined the two and made the
formula =ROW()-2, and got the numbering system perfectly! Thanks guys!!