Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default averages/if formulas-need help ASAP!!

I have two columns: one has initials of person completing the task, next to
it is the percentage of work that is equal to. At the bottom, I am hoping to
have two tables depicting the average % of work and total % of work for each
person.

I've tried =average(e3:e23 (if(d3:23="dj"))

Basically I have no idea how to create a correspondence between the name and
% of work...HELP! I'm so confused I can't even really explain my problem :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've tried =average(e3:e23 (if(d3:23="dj"))

That's pretty close!

Try it like this...

Array entered** :

=AVERAGE(IF(D3:D23="dj",E3:E23))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Laurel" wrote in message
I have two columns: one has initials of person completing the task, next to
it is the percentage of work that is equal to. At the bottom, I am hoping
have two tables depicting the average % of work and total % of work for
each
person.

I've tried =average(e3:e23 (if(d3:23="dj"))

Basically I have no idea how to create a correspondence between the name
and
% of work...HELP! I'm so confused I can't even really explain my problem
:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only problem is that it isn't averaging the %s specific to "DJ" here is
what it looks like (a little more complex than intially said):
col D col e col f col g col h
col I
DJ 25.00% LK 60.00% BP 15.00%
DJ 25.00% RH 60.00% LK 15.00%
DJ 25.00% DJ 60.00% LK 15.00%
LK 25.00% KM 60.00% LK 15.00%
KM 25.00% 60.00% 15.00%
LK 25.00% 60.00% 15.00%
BP 25.00% 60.00% 15.00%

So every time I enter DJ in columns d, f and h, I want to have running
average at the bottom of the corresponding #s in columns e,g and I. When I
did {=AVERAGE(IF(D3:D23="dj",E3:E23))}, it came back with .25, which is not
right. Does that make sense?

"Laurel" wrote in message
I have two columns: one has initials of person completing the task, next to
it is the percentage of work that is equal to. At the bottom, I am hoping
have two tables depicting the average % of work and total % of work for
each
person.

I've tried =average(e3:e23 (if(d3:23="dj"))

Basically I have no idea how to create a correspondence between the name
and
% of work...HELP! I'm so confused I can't even really explain my problem
:)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I did {=AVERAGE(IF(D3:D23="dj",E3:E23))},
it came back with .25, which is not right.

What result do you expect?

Based on that formula and the posted sample data the correct average is 0.25
and if you format the cell for Percentage you'll get 25.00%.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

I've tried =average(e3:e23 (if(d3:23="dj"))

That's pretty close!

Try it like this...

Array entered** :

=AVERAGE(IF(D3:D23="dj",E3:E23))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT
key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff