Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formulas: Averages

I would like to know how to create a "To-Date" average. For example, lets say
I have 3 dates:

Nov 1
Nov 2
Nov 3

and I have numerical values for each date:

Nov 1 | 100
Nov 2 | 106
Nov 3 | 88

How could I get an "to-date" average where it will average every number up
to that number together. For example, the aveage that would display to the
right of Nov 1 is 100 [100/1], to the right of Nov 2 is 103 [(100+106)/2],
and to the right of Nov 3 is 98 [(100+106+88)/3]. I know the parent function
for average is =Average().

I just need a formula that recognizes the current number and the ones before
it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

KeithD wrote:
I would like to know how to create a "To-Date" average. For example, lets say
I have 3 dates:

Nov 1
Nov 2
Nov 3

and I have numerical values for each date:

Nov 1 | 100
Nov 2 | 106
Nov 3 | 88

How could I get an "to-date" average where it will average every number up
to that number together. For example, the aveage that would display to the
right of Nov 1 is 100 [100/1], to the right of Nov 2 is 103 [(100+106)/2],
and to the right of Nov 3 is 98 [(100+106+88)/3]. I know the parent function
for average is =Average().

I just need a formula that recognizes the current number and the ones before
it.

This is basically about

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.aspx

Write back if you are still confused.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
assuming that your dates are in column A and start at A2 and your numbers
are in column B, starting at B2 then this formula might do it for you.

=SUM($B$2:$B2)/(ROW()-1)

copy down as far as you need.

regards
FSt1

"KeithD" wrote:

I would like to know how to create a "To-Date" average. For example, lets say
I have 3 dates:

Nov 1
Nov 2
Nov 3

and I have numerical values for each date:

Nov 1 | 100
Nov 2 | 106
Nov 3 | 88

How could I get an "to-date" average where it will average every number up
to that number together. For example, the aveage that would display to the
right of Nov 1 is 100 [100/1], to the right of Nov 2 is 103 [(100+106)/2],
and to the right of Nov 3 is 98 [(100+106+88)/3]. I know the parent function
for average is =Average().

I just need a formula that recognizes the current number and the ones before
it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

=AVERAGE(B$1:B1)

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"KeithD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

disregard this reply. post in the wrong place.
oops.

FSt1

"KeithD" wrote:

I would like to know how to create a "To-Date" average. For example, lets say
I have 3 dates:

Nov 1
Nov 2
Nov 3

and I have numerical values for each date:

Nov 1 | 100
Nov 2 | 106
Nov 3 | 88

How could I get an "to-date" average where it will average every number up
to that number together. For example, the aveage that would display to the
right of Nov 1 is 100 [100/1], to the right of Nov 2 is 103 [(100+106)/2],
and to the right of Nov 3 is 98 [(100+106+88)/3]. I know the parent function
for average is =Average().

I just need a formula that recognizes the current number and the ones before
it.

Need help with monthly averages, and copying formulas SusanU Excel Worksheet Functions 3 September 24th 08 10:37 PM
first ten and last ten averages aazharr Excel Worksheet Functions 2 February 28th 08 03:28 PM
Averages Zygy New Users to Excel 16 June 19th 06 10:01 PM
Averages Beth Excel Worksheet Functions 4 March 9th 06 08:19 PM
Averages Karen Excel Worksheet Functions 3 January 5th 05 10:02 PM