Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FA FA is offline

Default Merging Cells and Sorting

Is there a way to get around problems with sorting merged cells?
I have a spreadsheet that contains some rows with merged cells, which
doesn't allow me to sort the rows (ascending) using an autofilter. Is there
some other way that I can split the cells so that I will be able to sort the
rows? Or is there any way to lock 2 rows together so that they will be
recognized as one? I would just input the data on a second line in the cell,
but the cells have conditional formatting which I'd to keep. I'm wondering
what other people are doing when they encounter this problem (a pop-up comes
up saying that the merged cells need to be the same size....or something
along that line).
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have found one of the many reasons not to merge cells. The archives of
this group show many others.

DON'T MERGE CELLS!
--
David Biddulph

"FA" wrote in message
Is there a way to get around problems with sorting merged cells?
I have a spreadsheet that contains some rows with merged cells, which
doesn't allow me to sort the rows (ascending) using an autofilter. Is
there
some other way that I can split the cells so that I will be able to sort
the
rows? Or is there any way to lock 2 rows together so that they will be
recognized as one? I would just input the data on a second line in the
cell,
but the cells have conditional formatting which I'd to keep. I'm wondering
what other people are doing when they encounter this problem (a pop-up
comes
up saying that the merged cells need to be the same size....or something
along that line).
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Most people who have worked with Excel for a while have found out that
merged cells are about as useful as a baseball bat at a gunfight.

Conditional formatting should not be hampered by adding a linefeed in a cell
with Alt + Enter.

But not having seen your CF rules.......hard to say.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP