Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FA FA is offline

Default Merging Cells and Sorting

Is there a way to get around problems with sorting merged cells?
I have a spreadsheet that contains some rows with merged cells, which
doesn't allow me to sort the rows (ascending) using an autofilter. Is there
some other way that I can split the cells so that I will be able to sort the
rows? Or is there any way to lock 2 rows together so that they will be
recognized as one? I would just input the data on a second line in the cell,
but the cells have conditional formatting which I'd to keep. I'm wondering
what other people are doing when they encounter this problem (a pop-up comes
up saying that the merged cells need to be the same size....or something
along that line).
Thanks