Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
blakrapter

Default Sorting or maybe merging???

Hello everyone,

I am new here and fairly new to the advanced features of excel. I have
used excel for years now, but mainly to just add/subtract/divide etc..
I did a search for my question and didn't find anything, probably
because I don't really know what the proper term is for what I am
trying to do.

Let me try to explain. I have 2 spreadsheet files, one of which has
product numbers in one column and product prices in another. The other
spreadsheet has product item numbers in one column, and product
descriptions in the other. I need to get them both in the same sheet
with everything matched properly relative to the item number.

Here is the problem. The spreadsheets are from 2 different sources.
One contains old, current, and future products while the other contains
just current and a few old ones. So, I cannot just sort the list by
item number and copy&paste. If I just copy&paste in order, I will end
up matching the wrong descriptions with the wrong product number and
run out of descriptions before I run out of products. Unfortunatly,
there isn't an apparent pattern to what each spreadsheet does and does
not contain. For instance, the spreadsheet that contains current and
some old products does not contain ALL the old products, and the ones
that it does contain follow no specific order (ie, its not like it
contains all products after item number xxxxxxxx and doesn't before
xxxxxxx.) The only way I see to do it is to somehow tell excel to go
down the list of item numbers and match the ones that are one each
sheet, when it finds a match, transfer the price or product description
to the other sheet.

How do I do this? I will appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks!

--
blakrapter
blakrapter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28926

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Barb Reinhardt

Assuming the product numbers match on both sheets, you could use the VLOOKUP
function. Do a search on it within HELP.

"blakrapter" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
blakrapter

Found it and it worked! Thanks for the info!