Old November 12th 09, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to XML Map Repeating Rows?

I'm trying to map XML to a range of rows but, for some reason, Excel (2007)
is only mapping it to the first row of the range. I've created an XML file
and imported it. Then, I right-click on the root element and choose Map
Element. Excel asks "Where do you want to map the XML elements?" I click and
drag a range of contiguous cells and it updates the range in the little
dialog box. The range displayed include the full range of columns and rows so
I hit OK. But then Excel only shows the first row with the blue border. And
when I export it only exports the first row.

What am I doing wrong? I've done this before successfully with a slightly
different map and it was working fine. I can't figure out what I'm doing
wrong today.

David Salahi

Old November 12th 09, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, I figured out the answer to my own question. The problem was that the
sample XML that I created to define the XML map had only a single XML node.
You have to have at least two XML nodes or "records" in order to map the node
as a repeating element.

Dave

Old December 18th 09, 06:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 12, 11:56*pm, DaveLS wrote:
OK, I figured out the answer to my own question. The problem was that the
sample XML that I created to define the XML map had only a single XML node.
You have to have at least two XML nodes or "records" in order to map the node
as a repeating element.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a similar problem and i've actually tried your solution above
to no avail. May I email you my spreadsheet and the sample XML i'm
using? I'll really appreciate your help. I'd actually now resorted to
mapping each row (1199 rows) in excel to each element in the xml and
this is a painful task. I'll really appreciate your assistance in this
regard.

Thanks in advance.
Simon
Old December 13th 13, 01:09 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Motaung View Post
On Nov 12, 11:56*pm, DaveLS wrote:
OK, I figured out the answer to my own question. The problem was that the
sample XML that I created to define the XML map had only a single XML node.
You have to have at least two XML nodes or "records" in order to map the node
as a repeating element.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a similar problem and i've actually tried your solution above
to no avail. May I email you my spreadsheet and the sample XML i'm
using? I'll really appreciate your help. I'd actually now resorted to
mapping each row (1199 rows) in excel to each element in the xml and
this is a painful task. I'll really appreciate your assistance in this
regard.

Thanks in advance.
Simon
Me too I have the exact same problem as Simon! I have about 700 lines.
Thanks Mack

Last edited by dmack-norge : December 13th 13 at 01:10 PM Reason: added name
Old September 8th 14, 04:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh my goodness. Thank you for taking the time to answer your own question. I've been trying to figure this out for about four hours. Your solution worked fine for me. Life-saver, thanks!!

Old February 24th 15, 08:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 11:56:02 PM UTC+2, DaveLS wrote:
OK, I figured out the answer to my own question. The problem was that the
sample XML that I created to define the XML map had only a single XML node.
You have to have at least two XML nodes or "records" in order to map the node
as a repeating element.

Dave

I cant thank you enough for posting this. It solved a problem I've been trying to figure out for hours. Thank you

Old May 25th 15, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Il giorno giovedě 12 novembre 2009 22:56:02 UTC+1, DaveLS ha scritto:
OK, I figured out the answer to my own question. The problem was that the
sample XML that I created to define the XML map had only a single XML node.
You have to have at least two XML nodes or "records" in order to map the node
as a repeating element.

Dave

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old March 1st 16, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you - That was driving me nuts
Old April 4th 16, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the solution.