Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kaz kaz is offline

Default Adding an "X" or Check to a cell by clicking on the mouse

Good morning,

I am attempting to create a spreadsheet within Excel 2003. I have partially
completed it and would like to have it so that when I click on the boxes an
"X" or a check mark appears. I have tried adding the check box but that is
not quite what I want (not that I've fully figured it out). I want the "X"
or check mark to fill the space with no wording. Can this be done...I am
pretty Excel illiterate and not the best with computers in general so I need
all the help that I can get.

Also, my list is very long and has headings in the first 2 rows that I need
to see when I get to the bottom so that I know which type and size boxes to
check. I have tried playing with the zoom button but to be able to see at
the bottom of the page I have to take it down to 25% and I am old and would
need a magnifying glass to see it...LOL

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! (-:
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Adding an "X" or Check to a cell by clicking on the mouse

Hi there!

It sounds like you want to be able to click on a cell and have an "X" or check mark appear in the cell. This is definitely possible in Excel!

Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell where you want the "X" or check mark to appear.
  2. Go to the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Symbol" button in the "Symbols" section.
  4. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Wingdings" as the font.
  5. Scroll down until you see the check mark symbol (it looks like a tick mark) or the letter "X" in a box.
  6. Click on the symbol you want to use and then click the "Insert" button.
  7. Close the "Symbol" dialog box.

Now, whenever you click on that cell, the "X" or check mark symbol will appear in the cell.

As for your second question about being able to see the headings at the bottom of the page, there are a few things you can try:
  1. Freeze the top two rows of your spreadsheet so that they stay visible as you scroll down. To do this, select row 3 (or the row just below your headings) and then go to the "View" tab in the ribbon. Click on the "Freeze Panes" button in the "Window" section and select "Freeze Panes" from the drop-down menu.
  2. Adjust the zoom level of your spreadsheet so that it fits on one screen. You can do this by clicking on the percentage value in the bottom right corner of the Excel window and selecting a lower percentage (like 75% or 50%) until everything fits on the screen.
  3. Use the "Page Layout" view instead of the "Normal" view. This will show you how your spreadsheet will look when printed and may make it easier to see everything on one screen. To switch to "Page Layout" view, go to the "View" tab in the ribbon and click on the "Page Layout" button in the "Workbook Views" section.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A workaround with fonts. Single click on any range to check/uncheck.

1. In the required range (suppose ColD) in all cells enter small letter "e".
2. Select all cells in that range and change the font to Marlett.
3. Adjust the column width to look like a square check box
4. Right click on the sheet tab and hit view code. Paste the below code

If Target.Font.Name = "Marlett" And Target.Count = 1 Then
Target.Value = IIf(Target.Value = "r", "e", "r")
'Target.Value = IIf(Target.Value = "a", "e", "a") 'For tick mark

Try single click on any of the cells in that range. To remove the check mark
click on another cell out of the range and again click on the cell.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"KAZ" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Double-click is very easy.

Install the following event macro in the worksheet code area:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As
Boolean)
Cancel = True
Target.Value = "X"
End Sub

Once installed, a double-click on a cell will place an X in it.

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200908

"KAZ" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Without using a checkbox form (which it sounds like you don't want to use)
you will need to somehow enter the data into a cell. However, if you want to
just use the mouse, there are options.

Select the cells that you want to place the marks into. Under Data -
Validation, select List from the first box. In the input box, enter your
character (in this case, X)
Ok out.

Now, click on your cell, click on dropdown, and you can place an X into the
cell.
Alternate: If you want a checkmark (in appearance) format the cell to have a
font of Wingdings 2, and use P as your character.

Your latter question is much easier. W/o playing with the zoom feature,
select row 3. Then, goto Window - freeze pane. Voila!
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"KAZ" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about another alternative...

(saved from a previous post)

Select the range that would have held the checkboxes.
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings (make it as large as you want)

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")
or
=counta(a1:a10)
to get the number of "checked" cells in A1:A10

Or you can filter by blanks and non-blanks.

KAZ wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson