Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default charting

I would like to have graph change color when data exceeds a set value. Anyone
know how to do this?
--
Jim, an engineer using Excel not wisely
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim S wrote:
I would like to have graph change color when data exceeds a set value. Anyone
know how to do this?

Here's a simple example of one way to do this.

In column A enter some values to plot:
1
5
31
15
20
12

In column C enter some category labels:

In column D enter this formula and fill down:
=IF(A1<20,A1,NA())

In column E enter this formula and fill down:
=IF(ISNA(D1),A1,NA())

Now select C1:E6 and create a /stacked/ column chart.

What is happening is the values are separated to different series by way
of the formulas in D and E. Since they are different series, they can be
colored differently.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank You,
Splitting the data is the only way you know?
Not exactly what I was hoping for but it will work. I do not have to do
presentations very often with charts anyway, so an elegant process is not
needed.
If nothing else I can also import chart to a picture editing program as
"x/y" points and draw in the lines my self, tedious. Computers do not solve
all problems.
--

"smartin" wrote:

Jim S wrote:
I would like to have graph change color when data exceeds a set value. Anyone
know how to do this?

Here's a simple example of one way to do this.

In column A enter some values to plot:
1
5
31
15
20
12

In column C enter some category labels:

In column D enter this formula and fill down:
=IF(A1<20,A1,NA())

In column E enter this formula and fill down:
=IF(ISNA(D1),A1,NA())

Now select C1:E6 and create a /stacked/ column chart.

What is happening is the values are separated to different series by way
of the formulas in D and E. Since they are different series, they can be
colored differently.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can also manually color individual data points, but this can be
both tedious and prone to error as the colors will not change
according to the underlying data. If this is a one-off presentation it
might do the trick though.

"smartin" wrote:
Jim S wrote:
I would like to have graph change color when data exceeds a set value.. Anyone
know how to do this?

Here's a simple example of one way to do this.

In column A enter some values to plot:
1
5
31
15
20
12

In column C enter some category labels:

In column D enter this formula and fill down:
=IF(A1<20,A1,NA())

In column E enter this formula and fill down:
=IF(ISNA(D1),A1,NA())

Now select C1:E6 and create a /stacked/ column chart.

What is happening is the values are separated to different series by way
of the formulas in D and E. Since they are different series, they can be
colored differently.- Hide quoted text -