Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup question

I want to be able to take the value of A2, and lookup in a range of cells on
another sheet, and if it finds the value of a2 in that range, then display
"open". If it doesn't find the value of A2 in the range, I want it to
display "closed". Is it possible to make this happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:A100,A2),"Open","Closed")

Where Sheet2!A1:A100 is the range to check.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
I want to be able to take the value of A2, and lookup in a range of cells
on
another sheet, and if it finds the value of a2 in that range, then display
"open". If it doesn't find the value of A2 in the range, I want it to
display "closed". Is it possible to make this happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jarek

Typo maybe?

That is a semi-colon(;).....not an ampersand(&)

Gord

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:34:59 +0100, "Jarek Kujawa" wrote:

oops, sorry, replace ampersand with comma

here comes the correct one:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,lookup_range,)),"open","clo sed")

. ..