Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup or If, then Question

I am trying to get a 5 page workbook to link together. I have an input tab
and 4 additional tabs. In the input tab, I will enter 4 differerent employee
names. I want a formula on the 4 additional tabs that will search for the
employee's name and then populate the spreadsheet with the information. So,
if the input tab has 3 columns: Employee, Data 1, Data 2, the 4 addtional
tabs will have Data 1 and Data 2 columns. I want a formula in Tab 2 for
employee Sally to lookup Sally in the input tab and return the values for
Input, Data 1 and Data 2 into Sally, Data 1 and Data 2. I would like to
have no blank spaces between rows, just the next time Sally is found, row 2
will populate, etc.

I can't seem to get either VLookup, HLookup, Lookup, If, then, else to work.
Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
--
SS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

A formulas driven play is available to serve your exact needs ..

Take away this sample construct from my archives:
http://www.savefile.com/files/430142
AutoCopy Lines to Resp Sht Non Array.xls
(Full details inside, nicely rendered. Easy to adapt ..)

Data is continuously entered in a master ("parent") sheet, with lines neatly
auto-copied to each individual ("child") sheet based on the values within a
key col.

In the sample, the key col in the master sheet is the "State" col, which may
contain eg: NY, CA, NV, SD, AZ, etc. All lines with "NY" in the key col will
be auto-copied to the sheet named: NY, and appear neatly bunched at the top,
w/o any intervening blank lines. Ditto for lines with "CA", "NV", etc which
will be copied into their respective sheets.

Propagation of the "child" sheet is as simple as making a copy of the
initial one, then renaming it accordingly as the next key col value. Eg just
formulate one child sheet for "NY", dress it up nicely, then just make copies
of the "NY" sheet, and rename these as: CA, NV, SD, etc.

In your case, the key col would be your "Employee Name"
--
Max
Singapore