Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CB CB is offline

Default Lookup Question

I have a workbook that has 2 sheets of data. I would like to have sheet 1
column a go to sheet 2 Column A and look for a match (not case sensitive).
When a match is found I need the data in sheet 2 columns C:H copied to the
corrosponding row of column V:AA in sheet 1.
I am new to functions and lookups in Excel. A detailed example would be
most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One way via index/match

In Sheet1,
Assuming data starts in row 2 down
Put in V2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,Sheet2!$A:$A,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet 2!C:C,MATCH($A2,Sheet2!$A:$A,0)))
Copy across to AA2, fill down as far as required. Unmatched cases will
return blanks: "".
--
Max
Singapore
"CB" wrote:
I have a workbook that has 2 sheets of data. I would like to have sheet 1
column a go to sheet 2 Column A and look for a match (not case sensitive).
When a match is found I need the data in sheet 2 columns C:H copied to the
corrosponding row of column V:AA in sheet 1.
I am new to functions and lookups in Excel. A detailed example would be
most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need 2 lookups

This in V1 of sheet 1
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$C$30,3,FALSE)

This in Colmn AA fo sheet 1
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$H$30,8,FALSE)

Mike
"CB" wrote:

I have a workbook that has 2 sheets of data. I would like to have sheet 1
column a go to sheet 2 Column A and look for a match (not case sensitive).
When a match is found I need the data in sheet 2 columns C:H copied to the
corrosponding row of column V:AA in sheet 1.
I am new to functions and lookups in Excel. A detailed example would be
most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CB CB is offline

Max,
This works perfectly. Thanks so much.
CB

"CB" wrote:
I have a workbook that has 2 sheets of data. I would like to have sheet 1
column a go to sheet 2 Column A and look for a match (not case sensitive).
When a match is found I need the data in sheet 2 columns C:H copied to the
corrosponding row of column V:AA in sheet 1.
I am new to functions and lookups in Excel. A detailed example would be
most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions