Ntisch

Default Lookup question

Hi,

I use Excel 2004 for Mac.

My question relates to a Lookup issue.

All data is contained within the same file.

On one spreadsheet I have data in two columns. In the first column I
have a name - in the second column I have personal details (phone
number and email address)

On a second spreadsheet I want to create a lookup formula that will
autofill a cell for me. What I would like to do is to type a person's
name into a cell and then have the cell next to it look up and then
autofill their person details. When I try and do this using the lookup
command I am getting N/A and NAME errors.

Help appreciated, Nik

--
Ntisch
Ntisch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5791

Pulcue

Try VLOOKUP

ex:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A$2:B$10,2)

--
Pulcue
Pulcue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24654

Ntisch

Thanks for the help.

One thing that I think I have just figured out about the VLookup
command is that it has to start from the first column (A) of your
spreadsheet otherwise the Lookup doesn't work.

When I moved the data across the spreadsheet to start at column C, and
changed the return column value accordingly (to column 4 instead of 2),
I found that I returned an error. Am I doing something wrong or is this
the only way the Lookup works?

regards, Nik

--
Ntisch
Ntisch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5791
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382370

Biff

Hi!

You're lookup table can be anywhere on any sheet.

The lookup value must be in the FIRST column of the lookup table.

If the lookup table is in the range C1:G100, the lookup value MUST be in
column C, C1:C100. The number of the column reference is realtive to it's
position in the lookup table. Consider this:

=Vlookup(A1,C1:G100,2,0)

The lookup value in A1 must be in the range C1:C100. If found the formula
will return the corresponding value from column 2 of the lookup table. In
this case the relative column 2 is physically located in column D, D1:D100.

Biff

"Ntisch" wrote in
message ...

Thanks for the help.

One thing that I think I have just figured out about the VLookup
command is that it has to start from the first column (A) of your
spreadsheet otherwise the Lookup doesn't work.

When I moved the data across the spreadsheet to start at column C, and
changed the return column value accordingly (to column 4 instead of 2),
I found that I returned an error. Am I doing something wrong or is this
the only way the Lookup works?

regards, Nik

--
Ntisch