Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CC CC is offline

Default CREATION extra FILE WHEN SAVE

In Excel when I save the file, beside save the file also create another file
- without extension.
Why this happen and How can I disable this ?

thank you
cc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Open a new workbook and give save command then SAVE AS window will appear.
In that SAVE AS window see the right corner for TOOLS option. Clik the drop
down list of TOOLS option then you can find an option that is GENERAL OPTION.
Clik that general option then you can find the check box enabled to ALWAYS
CREATE A BACKUP. Uncheck it then your problem will getting resolved.

Shaun

"CC" wrote:

In Excel when I save the file, beside save the file also create another file
- without extension.
Why this happen and How can I disable this ?

thank you
cc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CC CC is offline

"ALWAYS CREATE A BACKUP " is not enable
still create files with names like this 7BD4F700

cc
"CC" wrote:

In Excel when I save the file, beside save the file also create another file
- without extension.
Why this happen and How can I disable this ?

thank you
cc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When xl2003 and older saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a
funny name (8 characters--no extension) in the same folder.

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

"CC" wrote:

In Excel when I save the file, beside save the file also create another file
- without extension.
Why this happen and How can I disable this ?

thank you
cc

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

This is Victor, I have a File Server dedicated for my users, so in each user
I have a map drive where all files are saved.

I have around 200 Users and each one has a lot of folders.

I have notice that Excel is creating the random name temp file in my server
in each folder user, and sometimes Excel does not delete these files from the
folder, therefor my number of files and size has increase a lot to backup.

I want to find a way to search for these files and delete them all, so I can
be sure that I am not backing up trash info.

Is there any way to look for this files instead of going folder by folder?

Thanks

"CC" wrote:

In Excel when I save the file, beside save the file also create another file
- without extension.
Why this happen and How can I disable this ?

thank you
cc

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd just open windows explorer
Traverse to the highest branch that contains the folders that contains the
files.
Then search for all the *.* files

You'll be able to show the detail view, sort by type column, and then you can
click on the first file with no extension and shift click file with no
extenstion on the last to select all the files with no extensions.

Then delete them.

But that does assume that there are no files in those folders that have no
extensions but should be kept.

(I can't remember the last time I saved a file without an extension--but be
careful.)