Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculate and Format Time

I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them listed in the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I want to
add up the following and get the total in a minute and second format as well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03
23:23
12:34

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format the cells as [mm]:ss
but enter the values as:
00:12:12
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200826

"Erika" wrote:

I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them listed in the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I want to
add up the following and get the total in a minute and second format as well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03
23:23
12:34

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter the data with hours as well, 0:12:12, and so on, then format the sum
cell as [m]:ss

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Erika" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them listed in
the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I want to
add up the following and get the total in a minute and second format as
well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03
23:23
12:34

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That worked great and I get the result of 84:17:00 - now I need to take that
and divide it by 3. When I do that I get 252:51:00 - 252 is the answer I am
looking for but when I try to convert that to currency is give me $10.54

is it because I have a time format and a dollar amount that I am working
with - is there any way around this?

"Erika" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them listed in
the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I want to
add up the following and get the total in a minute and second format as
well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03
23:23
12:34

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I assume that when you divide by 3, you intended to say multiply by 3?
If you want the answer as a decimal number of hours, rather than an Excel
time, multiply by 24 and format the result as number or general, not time.
The reason that you are seeing 10.54 is that 252 hours 51 minutes is 10.54
days, and Excel calculates time in multiples of a day.
--
David Biddulph

"Erika" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them
listed in the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I
want to add up the following and get the total in a minute and
second format as well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03
23:23
12:34

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are correct I did intent to say multiple. When I multiple 84:17 by 3 I
am looking to get a result of 84 minutes multiplied by $3. Resulting in 252
but I need that as a figure that I can calculate with other numbers. If I
just need to enter 84 by hand I can do that I was just wondering if Excel
would be able to.

"Erika" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them
listed in the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I
want to add up the following and get the total in a minute and
second format as well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03