Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculate and Format Time

I assume that when you divide by 3, you intended to say multiply by 3?
If you want the answer as a decimal number of hours, rather than an Excel
time, multiply by 24 and format the result as number or general, not time.
The reason that you are seeing 10.54 is that 252 hours 51 minutes is 10.54
days, and Excel calculates time in multiples of a day.
--
David Biddulph

Erika wrote:
That worked great and I get the result of 84:17:00 - now I need to
take that and divide it by 3. When I do that I get 252:51:00 - 252
is the answer I am looking for but when I try to convert that to
currency is give me $10.54

is it because I have a time format and a dollar amount that I am
working with - is there any way around this?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Enter the data with hours as well, 0:12:12, and so on, then format
the sum cell as [m]:ss

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Erika" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate time and I am not sure if I have them
listed in the
appropriate format. I need them in a minute and second format. I
want to add up the following and get the total in a minute and
second format as well
then in another cell I want to multiple the total minutes by 3.

12:12
13:02
11:03
12:03