Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculate Ending time using Start Time and Elapsed Time

I have a data base pull that shows a starting time in hh:mm military format,
and an elapsed time in number format (i.e. 30 minutes equals .50). I am
trying to find an equatioin that will add the Starting time and the elapsed
time and show me an ending time in hh.mm military format.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

COL A has time from database
COL B has duration
COL C has formula =A1+(1/(24/B1))

24H display of time (aka military format) is merely a display format which
you ucan select in the typical fashion for COL A and COL C. DIsplay format
has nothing to do with formula's calculation.

Kim W.

"Chief 711" wrote:

I have a data base pull that shows a starting time in hh:mm military format,
and an elapsed time in number format (i.e. 30 minutes equals .50). I am
trying to find an equatioin that will add the Starting time and the elapsed
time and show me an ending time in hh.mm military format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With start time (hh:mm) in A1 and elapsed time (decimal hours) in B1,
put this in C1:

=A1 + B1/24

and format the cell as [hh]:mm

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 13, 1:26*pm, Chief 711 <Chief
wrote:
I have a data base pull that shows a starting time in hh:mm military format,
and an elapsed time in number format (i.e. 30 minutes *equals .50). I am
trying to find an equatioin that will add the Starting time and the elapsed
time and show me an ending time in hh.mm military format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kim,

Thanks, but that still is not working. Using the folloowing I shuld get an
ending time of 22:15, but I get 21:04

COL A = 20:30
COL B = 1.75 hours (1 hour and 45 Minutes)
COL C = 21:04

Shouldn't the equation of =A1=(1/24/B1) equal 22:15 (20:30 plus 1 hour and
45 Minutes)?

Chief711

"Chief 711" wrote:

I have a data base pull that shows a starting time in hh:mm military format,
and an elapsed time in number format (i.e. 30 minutes equals .50). I am
trying to find an equatioin that will add the Starting time and the elapsed
time and show me an ending time in hh.mm military format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why =A1+(1/(24/B1)) and not =A1+(B1/24), Kim?
Apart from relative simplicity, the latter has the advantage that it doesn't
give a !DIV/0# error when B1 is empty or zero.
--
David Biddulph