Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Macro Security

How can I set myself as a "Trusted source". I am helping an organisation
streamline there spreadsheet activities, this includes some macros. When I
try to run a programme the security warning appears. Changing security level
to Low and then resetting later is cumbersome. So I want to know how to
identify myself as a Trusted Source so that the macros will be accepted
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One option is to self sign the code and have them save that when they open
the workbook the first time.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

If this post was helpful to you, please click YES below.

"Barry Lennox" wrote:

How can I set myself as a "Trusted source". I am helping an organisation
streamline there spreadsheet activities, this includes some macros. When I
try to run a programme the security warning appears. Changing security level
to Low and then resetting later is cumbersome. So I want to know how to
identify myself as a Trusted Source so that the macros will be accepted

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Barry,
Did you figure out "how" to do this?
I have the same situation, i.e. creating spreadsheet tools with some macros
for a client; work from home, copy onto their computer, etc.
Can't believe that I can't create my own spreadsheet, and my own macro, and
not have to "enable" the darn thing each time. And I don't want the client
to have to do so (they won't remember how anyway...). And I don't want to
change the security settings to low so that we're not protected from external
macros.

Thanks much,
Leslie

"Barry Lennox" wrote:

How can I set myself as a "Trusted source". I am helping an organisation
streamline there spreadsheet activities, this includes some macros. When I
try to run a programme the security warning appears. Changing security level
to Low and then resetting later is cumbersome. So I want to know how to
identify myself as a Trusted Source so that the macros will be accepted

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Leslie
No I am sorry I just gave up as I only have one outside operation. If you
have any success let me know. I have trouble logging in to this site. I
select the option for the site to remember my name and password, but it only
remembers my name and I still have to do everything twice.

Barry

"Leslie" wrote:

Barry,
Did you figure out "how" to do this?
I have the same situation, i.e. creating spreadsheet tools with some macros
for a client; work from home, copy onto their computer, etc.
Can't believe that I can't create my own spreadsheet, and my own macro, and
not have to "enable" the darn thing each time. And I don't want the client
to have to do so (they won't remember how anyway...). And I don't want to
change the security settings to low so that we're not protected from external
macros.

Thanks much,
Leslie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Barry. I did find a possible solution that I just haven't tried yet.
I'm still on Excel 2002 here at home, and there isn't this issue with macro
security, and haven't had time while at the clients office (who has Office
2007).
In the Excel Programming discussion group, search for "selective macro
security", and check out the reply from Gord Dibben. He seems to be very
knowledgeable... I see his name all over the place posting back to all kinds
of questions.
Barb's reply to you initially referred to "self signing", but didn't give
any details. That's was Gord has provided. Good luck.

"Leslie" wrote:

Barry,
Did you figure out "how" to do this?
I have the same situation, i.e. creating spreadsheet tools with some macros
for a client; work from home, copy onto their computer, etc.
Can't believe that I can't create my own spreadsheet, and my own macro, and
not have to "enable" the darn thing each time. And I don't want the client
to have to do so (they won't remember how anyway...). And I don't want to
change the security settings to low so that we're not protected from external
macros.

Thanks much,
Leslie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately self signed workbooks using the SelfCert tool will not
transfer to another computer.

The certificate key cannot be exported.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP