Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ignoring a cell contents

I am trying to find a way to ignore the contents of a cell if a certain
condition exists. For example, when building a YTD report, if I have nothing
to post this month I want to keep the vale I had at the end of last month.
Can anyone tell me how I might do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Suppose post this month is in cell D1 and last months number is in C1 then
where you want this running number(s), row 2 enter the following formula

=IF(D1="",C1,D1)

With a little more detail we might have other suggestions, like show us
what your data looks like and the result you want to see.

Cheers,
Shane DEvenshire

"Smitty" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to ignore the contents of a cell if a certain
condition exists. For example, when building a YTD report, if I have nothing
to post this month I want to keep the vale I had at the end of last month.
Can anyone tell me how I might do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is an example that can be adapted to your needs. Say we are going to
put monthly in in A1 thu L1. We start putting Jans data in A1. Next month
we put Feb data in B1, etc.

In M1 we want a formula that give the latest data. We want to ignore the
months that have not occurred yet. In M1 we enter:

=MATCH(LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:L10),A1:L1),A1:L1)

This ignores the empties until they are filled.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200816

"Smitty" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to ignore the contents of a cell if a certain
condition exists. For example, when building a YTD report, if I have nothing
to post this month I want to keep the vale I had at the end of last month.
Can anyone tell me how I might do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not exactly. The problem I am trying to resolve is:

I already have amounts in a1-l1 which represent 12 different categorioes or
locations. In another spreadsheet I have values for this month. If the
value in c1 has a corresponding amount in the monthly worksheet to be added
to it, I want to do so otherwise don't alter the value that already exists in
c1. I hope this makes sense.

Smitty

"Smitty" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to ignore the contents of a cell if a certain
condition exists. For example, when building a YTD report, if I have nothing
to post this month I want to keep the vale I had at the end of last month.
Can anyone tell me how I might do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is my example, I have 10 categories on a spreadsheet I will call YTD.
The spreadsheet is part of a workbook which is a full report generated each
month. The YTD spreadsheet is referenced by other worksheets in the same
workbook. On another worksheet (let's call that one MTD) I have some values
that will be used to increase some of the the YTD values. Here is the
action. The cells in YTD are fixed location since they are referenced by
other worksheets. If I have a value in the MTD that should be added to a
value in the YTD, I want to do so otherwise don't disturb the value that
already exists in the YTD field. I tried your suggested solution before and
even though it seemed to work, I got unpredictable results (maybe because the
worksheet was protected). Any thoughts, Shane?

Smitty