Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Help Please

I am very new to Excel and I don't know all the technical jargon so I'll just
explain my problem. I am trying to record a cell from sheet1 to a column on
sheet2, where the cell on sheet1 changes every day, but on sheet2 I want it
to record the new data below the old data while keeping the ol data. So,
sheet1 a1 I put 30, I want it to go to sheet2 a1 and put 30. Then tomorrow I
put 50 in sheet1 a1, I want the result to go in sheet2 a2, while still having
my 30 from the previous day in a1. So at the end of the month I can look back
at each day and see what the data was.Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am very new to Excel

Formulas are volatile inasmuch as when the dependent cell changes the return
from the Formula changes. Therefore any formula that references Sheet1 A1
will update everytime that Sheet1 A1 changes. You will therefore need VBA
code to do what you want.
Is that an option?

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Michael Cannon" wrote in message
I am very new to Excel and I don't know all the technical jargon so I'll
just
explain my problem. I am trying to record a cell from sheet1 to a column
on
sheet2, where the cell on sheet1 changes every day, but on sheet2 I want
it
to record the new data below the old data while keeping the ol data. So,
sheet1 a1 I put 30, I want it to go to sheet2 a1 and put 30. Then tomorrow
put 50 in sheet1 a1, I want the result to go in sheet2 a2, while still
having
my 30 from the previous day in a1. So at the end of the month I can look
back
at each day and see what the data was.Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Neo Neo is offline

on sheet1 you'll have to put the current day. you can use =today() in the
same line at left of the information on the sheet1. For example, in the cell
a1: =today() in the cell a2: you put the information. in the sheet2, the
first column may have all dates in the month, the second column in the first
cell may have the formula =procv(a1;sheet1!$a$1:$a$2;2;false) then copy and
paste for each line in the second column

"Michael Cannon" escreveu:

I am very new to Excel and I don't know all the technical jargon so I'll just
explain my problem. I am trying to record a cell from sheet1 to a column on
sheet2, where the cell on sheet1 changes every day, but on sheet2 I want it
to record the new data below the old data while keeping the ol data. So,
sheet1 a1 I put 30, I want it to go to sheet2 a1 and put 30. Then tomorrow I
put 50 in sheet1 a1, I want the result to go in sheet2 a2, while still having
my 30 from the previous day in a1. So at the end of the month I can look back
at each day and see what the data was.Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the help, I figured I would need to tie the date in there
somehow. However, the formula still is not working and I get =name? as the
data in sheet2 b2 now.

"Michael Cannon" escreveu:

I am very new to Excel and I don't know all the technical jargon so I'll just
explain my problem. I am trying to record a cell from sheet1 to a column on
sheet2, where the cell on sheet1 changes every day, but on sheet2 I want it
to record the new data below the old data while keeping the ol data. So,
sheet1 a1 I put 30, I want it to go to sheet2 a1 and put 30. Then tomorrow I
put 50 in sheet1 a1, I want the result to go in sheet2 a2, while still having
my 30 from the previous day in a1. So at the end of the month I can look back
at each day and see what the data was.Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Neo Neo is offline

must be because i use the portuguese version.

the formula in the english version must be
=vlookup(a1;sheet1!$a$1:$a$2;2;false)

"Michael Cannon" escreveu:

I am very new to Excel and I don't know all the technical jargon so I'll just
explain my problem. I am trying to record a cell from sheet1 to a column on
sheet2, where the cell on sheet1 changes every day, but on sheet2 I want it
to record the new data below the old data while keeping the ol data. So,
sheet1 a1 I put 30, I want it to go to sheet2 a1 and put 30. Then tomorrow I
put 50 in sheet1 a1, I want the result to go in sheet2 a2, while still having
my 30 from the previous day in a1. So at the end of the month I can look back
at each day and see what the data was.Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to record a cell from sheet1
to a column on sheet2, where the cell on sheet1 changes every day, but
on sheet2 I want it to record the new data below the old data while
keeping the ol data. So, sheet1 a1 I put 30, I want it to go to
sheet2 a1 and put 30. Then tomorrow I put 50 in sheet1 a1, I want the
result to go in sheet2 a2, while still having my 30 from the previous
day in a1. So at the end of the month I can look back at each day and
see what the data was.

Here's one way with Excel 2003.

First, allow circular references in the workbook by checking the box
Tools Options Calculation Iteration

Then in Sheet2!A1 put
=IF(DAY(TODAY())=ROW(),Sheet1!$A$1,A1)
and copy down to A31.

Caution: allowing circular references can be a risk. Later, if you make a
circular reference in the workbook by mistake, and Excel won't flag it as
an error.