Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need to Format Currency without changing values - over 16,0000 row

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You want them rounded to the nearest Integer?

Enter this in B1
=ROUND(A1,0) and copy till the end of your dataset

[you can take your cursor to the bottom right of B1 and double click when
curson changes to the plus sign to copy it down... assuming there are no
blank rows]

Once you get what you want you can cut Col B and PASTE SPECIAL|Values over
Col A... Or Paste Special in place and delete Col A...
--
To get my email id paste my address in an Excel cell and press Enter...

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need to Format Currency without changing values - over 16,0000

I cant round the numbers to the nearest integer because they are not
consistant at all, one might go up 2 cents, the other 30 cents.

I just need Excel to stop looking at what isnt showing and format the
showing number in currency.

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Or you can simply change the FORMAT|CELLS|Number|NUMBER with
0 decimal places... -- To get my email id paste my address in

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need
formated to currency without rounding. This is how the
numbers are listed.... 18 0.95 0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some
stay the same and some change. I dont need any of them to
change values.

I can't understand what's going on. I took your numbers, chose the
column Formatcellscurrencydecimal places:2

My results were $18.00, $0.95, $0.75
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also there is formulas in some of the cells with my number list in it. I try
to copy and paste special the column so that only VALUES are pasted, but the
numbers change.

Are the forumlas causing me issues?

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Barbara,

The number you see as 18 is actually 17.71 that is why when you change the
format to currency it shows as 17.71.

If you select the cell showing 18 and look in the EDIT BOX you will see it
shows 17.71 or something similar...
--

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Barbara,

That might be the reason... the formula may be showing the number as 18 even
when the underlying number is 17.71

James,
The number displayed is 18 but underlying number is 17.71 so it changes when
formatted with Currency format. Barbara wants it to be $ 18.00
--

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Toolsoptionscalculation and select precision as displayed

that means if you have a value that is in fact 17.71 but is displayed
as 18 then it will be converted to that. It is pretty risky to use since
calculations will not be exact

Peo Sjoblom

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to
currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the
same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are presumably starting with a number of different cells which are
already formatted in different ways.

If you want to split out those formatted currently with zero decimal places
you might use
=IF(CELL("format",A2)="F0",TEXT(A2,"$0"),TEXT(A2," $General"))
or if you have a choice between zero decimal places and two decimal places,
you could use
=IF(CELL("format",A2)="F0",TEXT(A2,"$0"),TEXT(A2," $0.00"))
Note that those would leave you with values as text, not numbers.

Another option, if you are happy to lose the precision of the data (and have
the value of 17.72 converted permanently to 18), would be to set
Tools/ Options/ Calculation: Precision as displayed, and then use Format/
Cells/ Custom: $General
This would leave your values as numbers, but merely lose you the precision.
--
David Biddulph

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to
currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the
same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Barbara,

As you would have seen by the different responses, there is no simple way to
do it you want different things for different cells.

David's formula will do what you want to do. You will need to convert them
back to numbers then which you can do by
entering 1 somewhere
copying it
selecting your column and choosing Edit|Paste Special|Multiply

or you can send the file to me... I will do the needful and send it back...
--

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Got it!

This is exactly what I did...

1) Set Precision as Displayed

2) Copy the column and did a paste special "Vaules Only" into a new sheet.

3) Formated to currency.

David, you presumed correctly all the cells were different, some had
formulas and some didnt. Some had 2 decimal places and some had none.

The precision as displayed worked, but I couldnt format the existing column
because of the formulas, I had to move the numbers to get them to format
without changed to the exact number the formula was bringing back.

Thanks so much to all, you saved us 17+ hours of work!

Barbara

"Barbara" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a column of numbers that need formated to
currency
without rounding. This is how the numbers are listed....
18
0.95
0.75

This is what happens when I format to currency...

$17.71
$0.95
$0.75

But I needed the 17.71 to be 18.00.

There is no consistancy in the numbers in the column, some stay the
same and
some change. I dont need any of them to change values.

Please help, otherwise we are changing 16k rows manually!

Thanks so much,
Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And what happens to the dollar signs when you do the Paste Special/
Multiply?
--
David Biddulph

"Sheeloo" <="to" & CHAR(95) & "sheeloo" & CHAR(64) & "hotmail.com" wrote in
message ...