Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Starting with a zero?

Is there a way to enter a number beginning with a zero onto an Excel
document? I'm listing some passwords that begin with zero and Excel wants to
leave them off. For example, when I enter 0123 it shows up as 123. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
leading zeros on true number are unnecessary so excel trims them off.
numbers with leading zero are usually some sort of id code or a number that
you may not wish to preform mathmatical operations on. such as deviding your
phone number by 2. these "numbers" are more like text.
so pre-format the cell as text or begin input with an apostrophe.

Regards
FSt1

"karyd" wrote:

Is there a way to enter a number beginning with a zero onto an Excel
document? I'm listing some passwords that begin with zero and Excel wants to
leave them off. For example, when I enter 0123 it shows up as 123. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can also format as 0000 under Edit-Format Cells-Special for four digit
numbers with leading zeroes for shorter numbers. Increase the number of
zeroes for bigger numbers...

"karyd" wrote:

Is there a way to enter a number beginning with a zero onto an Excel
document? I'm listing some passwords that begin with zero and Excel wants to
leave them off. For example, when I enter 0123 it shows up as 123. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
a good suggestion. but just to point.....the format method puts imaginary
zeros in the cell while the data in the formula bar remains without leading
zeros.
this could persent a problem with exporting data. it could also cause
problems in other areas, depending. if there is no exporting done then
formating is a viable solution.
personally, i have always tried to have the data in the cell be the data in
the formula bar. small problem with dates and time........ oh well.
regards
FSt1