Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FSt1 FSt1 is offline

Default Starting with a zero?

hi
leading zeros on true number are unnecessary so excel trims them off.
numbers with leading zero are usually some sort of id code or a number that
you may not wish to preform mathmatical operations on. such as deviding your
phone number by 2. these "numbers" are more like text.
so pre-format the cell as text or begin input with an apostrophe.

Regards
FSt1

"karyd" wrote:

Is there a way to enter a number beginning with a zero onto an Excel
document? I'm listing some passwords that begin with zero and Excel wants to
leave them off. For example, when I enter 0123 it shows up as 123. Thanks.