Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
softnose

Default Starting up with Book 1

When I start up Excel, it doesn't start up with book 1, but a "personal.xls"
which if i save my changes, will reappear if I start up Excel next time
round.
How do I get Excel to start up with a fresh book 1 every time and get rid of
this "personal.xls"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi

If you don't need it at all, delete it from
C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\
or hide it: Windows/Hide

Regards,
Stefi

€˛softnose€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

When I start up Excel, it doesn't start up with book 1, but a "personal.xls"
which if i save my changes, will reappear if I start up Excel next time
round.
How do I get Excel to start up with a fresh book 1 every time and get rid of
this "personal.xls"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
softnose

Hi Stefi,

Thanks for your quick reply, but I can't seem to find the file. It might be
because I am not the administrator, I don't know.
Any way to deactivate it from Excel itself?

Cheers,
Alex

"Stefi" wrote:

If you don't need it at all, delete it from
C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\
or hide it: Windows/Hide

Regards,
Stefi

€˛softnose€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

When I start up Excel, it doesn't start up with book 1, but a "personal.xls"
which if i save my changes, will reappear if I start up Excel next time
round.
How do I get Excel to start up with a fresh book 1 every time and get rid of
this "personal.xls"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi

Application Data\ is a hidden folder by default! You can display it via
My Computer/Tools/Folder Settings/View/Hidden files and folders, check the
display option button!

Or try the second method from Excel:

Windows/Hide

Stefi

€˛softnose€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

If you don't need it at all, delete it from
C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\
or hide it: Windows/Hide

Regards,
Stefi

€˛softnose€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

When I start up Excel, it doesn't start up with book 1, but a "personal.xls"
which if i save my changes, will reappear if I start up Excel next time
round.
How do I get Excel to start up with a fresh book 1 every time and get rid of
this "personal.xls"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Lots of people use personal.xls to store macros that they want available
whenever they open excel.

And most people keep that workbook hidden. If you want this:
With personal.xls the activeworkbook, click on Window|Hide
then close excel. You'll be prompted to save personal.xls in that hidden state.

If you really don't want personal.xls and you don't know where it is, you can:

Open excel.
Put this formula in an empty cell in personal.xls:
=cell("Filename",a1)

You'll see the drive/folder/filename/sheet name.

Make a note of it. Close excel and use windows explorer to delete (or just
move???) that file.

===
Or with personal.xls open:
file|properties|general tab