Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Postcodes starting with 0

I have a large database of addresses that includes some postcodes and phone
numbers that begin with zero that excel unfortunately drops off. I have read
all the other posts on this topic but my problem is that i need the format to
remain as a number and not text as suggested by most due to problems
exporting the data into access, etc. I can solve the phone number problem by
simply putting spaces between the area code and the actual number for phone
numbers but this is of no use for the postcodes.

Is there a way to keep the zero's and maintain the number formatting?

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Matt,

no a numeric format cannot begin with 0 unless that 0 preceeds a
period. Can I ask what you want to do with the data and why must it be
formatted as number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Its linked to an access database where the access field is formatted as a
number. If i set the cells to text in excel then it deletes the data when
importing to access.

"Monza" wrote:

Hi Matt,

no a numeric format cannot begin with 0 unless that 0 preceeds a
period. Can I ask what you want to do with the data and why must it be
formatted as number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Matt,

Do you have to use access? we currently import into sql from a excel
spreadsheet, the conversions can be handled via stored proc's and
formatting can vary. sql 2005 express is also free and it leaves
access for dead (depending on your preference!)

Sorry I can't help you more Matt, I can't stand access, we don't use it
here and none of our client site use it either. Have you explored a
possible middle layer app that could handle a format conversion?
(although I'm not aware of one off hand, there will be one, just got to
find it)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your number is a 5 digit code, for example, then you can format it as
00000, so that it will show leading zeroes.
--
David Biddulph

s.com...