Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Freezing Panes

How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't

Peo Sjoblom

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put the two rows together at the top of the sheet.
--
David Biddulph

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
If i've to create a hierarchial structure within excel sheet...like
a1
a2
a3
b1
b2
b3

So, as I scroll down the row heading A has to be retained and as we proceed
down, B should also be retained...How can I do this?
--
Naidu

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M-A M-A is offline

Naidu,

as the previous posters said you can't do that in basic excel (well, not
EXACTLY)

However you could do something similar. I'm not sure which version of Excel
you are using, so I've put a couple of ideas in:
- The best thing is probablt to group the data together using Outlining.
Basically this will give you a little + or - box next to Item A and Item B.
If you click the - button next to A then rows a1, a2, a3 will be hidden and
pressing the + will show them again. You can have all the rows visible, or
just the headings, or any combination of groups you need at any time.
Note that your headings will always be visible all the time, but this does
sound like your best bet. Outline is something it's maybe best to learn and
difficult to follow on a brief posting. To learn how to use outline I'd
suggest having a look at help or the following part of the microsoft site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CL100570551033
If you try this and find problems then send in your a note of where you are
getting stuck and maybe someone can help move you forward.
- If you can't use outline then you are going to have to freeze or split
your sheet multiple times. Freeze or split Heading A, then when you get to
Heading B make a note of the cell reference. You should unfreeze/remove
split and then you can use GoTo to get back to Heading B quite quickly.

I guess the best solution for you will depend on how often you use the
sheet, how many other people use it, how long you would be keeping it for etc.

Good Luck.
M-A

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M-A M-A is offline

you're welcome; Keep us posted!

"Naidu" wrote:

I am trying on it !
Thanks a lot !
--
Naidu

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there !

I could not follow the details in the link U posted. But then as suggested
by U, grouping is what i opted to do Thanks for that ! But agian can I not
freeze only the sub headers as I scroll down ?
--
Naidu

"M-A" wrote:

you're welcome; Keep us posted!

"Naidu" wrote:

I am trying on it !
Thanks a lot !
--
Naidu

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M-A M-A is offline

Not automatically; you can only have one freeze instruction at a time. that
instruction it can freeze adjacent columns and rows together, but not a
'moving' freeze like this.

However, if you've set up groups it is easy to do it manually. It takes a
lot longer to explain it than to doit !

- make sure all of your items are summarised (all boxes are +). the
easiest way to do that is to click on the small number 1 box that appears
above the other outline markings
- Expand title A by clicking on the + sign until it becomes -. put your
cursor underneath the title and freeze the panes as normal.
- Scroll through until you get to title B. Now you can click on the little
'-' box next to title A so that all the detail of A disappears.
- Remove the Freeze (using the menus or Alt+W, F).
- Scroll down one row and now title B is the first line you can see.
- Expand Title B by clicking on the + box.
- Put your cursor under title B and now freeze that using the menus (or
Alt+W, F)
- now scroll through your B data until you get to Title C.
- follow the previous instructions again. (click on the - sign next to B,
unfreeze, scroll down TWO rows this time to put title C at the top. click on
the + sign next to C, place your cursor under that title and set your freeze
again).

And so on.

If you have lots of titles there will come a point where you're doing a wee
bit of scrolling, but a lot less than before!

M-A

"M-A" wrote:

you're welcome; Keep us posted!

"Naidu" wrote:

I am trying on it !
Thanks a lot !
--
Naidu

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Though not satisfied, I can compramise with this option. Thanks a lot !
--
Naidu

"M-A" wrote:

you're welcome; Keep us posted!

"Naidu" wrote:

I am trying on it !
Thanks a lot !
--
Naidu

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M-A M-A is offline

glad to have found you a better way at least.

why don't you pop a new suggestion on this board? You can mark your posting
as a suggestion for microsoft. (I'm just an excel user and don't have any
connection with Excel - although some of the respondents are microsoft MVPs.)
If other people agree with your suggestion then they can vote for it as well.

M-A

"M-A" wrote:

you're welcome; Keep us posted!

"Naidu" wrote:

I am trying on it !
Thanks a lot !
--
Naidu

"Naidu" wrote in message
How do I freeze two different rows in same sheet.

--
Naidu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good that U said me this. I'll do it right away !
--
Naidu

"M-A" wrote:

you're welcome; Keep us posted!