Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Downloaded Report

I have a report that I download into excel - it has a currency value and when
I try to do a calculation on it - it will not work. I noticed that the
values are not formatted as a number so I changed that. I also noticed there
are some extra spaces in the field I tried the clean function, the trim
function and convert text to columns to attempt to isolate and remove the
extra spaces - none seemed to work.

Any other suggestions to get these converted to text so calculations will
work?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Might be a better way but this is what I've down when faced with the old
number/text problem.

Tools....options....error checking tab, make sure that 'number stored as
text' is checked off.

then 'tools'....'errorchecking' this should then show all of those numbers
stored as text as errors. You should be able to hilight the whole column or
row and then click on the error checking arrow and change them to numbers
from text.

"Erika" wrote:

I have a report that I download into excel - it has a currency value and when
I try to do a calculation on it - it will not work. I noticed that the
values are not formatted as a number so I changed that. I also noticed there
are some extra spaces in the field I tried the clean function, the trim
function and convert text to columns to attempt to isolate and remove the
extra spaces - none seemed to work.

Any other suggestions to get these converted to text so calculations will
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried this formula and the result I got was FALSE. I am not sure what that
means?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Quite often downloaded data will have non-breaking spaces Character 160
attached to them that TRIM() does not remove. Try:

=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Erika" wrote in message
I have a report that I download into excel - it has a currency value and
when
I try to do a calculation on it - it will not work. I noticed that the
values are not formatted as a number so I changed that. I also noticed
there
are some extra spaces in the field I tried the clean function, the trim
function and convert text to columns to attempt to isolate and remove the
extra spaces - none seemed to work.

Any other suggestions to get these converted to text so calculations will
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Re reading my original message I spotted a part that was misleading on my
part instuctions wise. you need to make sure you have a check mark in the
'number as text' box. Is there a check in that box under tools, options,
error checking?

"Erika" wrote:

I have a report that I download into excel - it has a currency value and when
I try to do a calculation on it - it will not work. I noticed that the
values are not formatted as a number so I changed that. I also noticed there
are some extra spaces in the field I tried the clean function, the trim
function and convert text to columns to attempt to isolate and remove the
extra spaces - none seemed to work.

Any other suggestions to get these converted to text so calculations will
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm glad that you got it to work. Thanks for the feedback telling us that
it worked.

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Erika" wrote in message
Worked perfect, thank you!

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

I can onlt assume that it was because I did not include the third
argument
of the SUBSTITUTE() but it works fine for me in XL97. Try:

=--TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),""))