Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel's file name incorrectly shows ":" and a number for # of shee

Wanting to understand why Excel adds a colon and a number for number of
sheets in its Title Bar. Really have two questions. First I deleted 7 of 9
sheets in an .xls file, resaved to a new file name, reloaded same and file
name still had the colon and 9 sheets. Looked like: myfile.xls:9 So how
do I correct this? Secondly, if I have two excel files open and I switch
them by looking on the task bar, I would prefer to view only the two files,
not all of the sheets as is happening now. Haven't figured out how to
accomplish this.

Would appreciate any help.
--
Bill W
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That number following the colon in the Title bar is indicating how many
"Windows" exist of the WS.

Repeat :
<Ctrl < W

Until the number disappears ... THEN <Save

Each time you click on:
<Window <New Window

You create an additional copy of the WS, where you can then go to:
<Window <Arrange
And select a configuration to display concurrent, multiple views of the same
WS.
--

HTH,

RD

"aligatrjoe" wrote in message
Wanting to understand why Excel adds a colon and a number for number of
sheets in its Title Bar. Really have two questions. First I deleted 7 of 9
sheets in an .xls file, resaved to a new file name, reloaded same and file
name still had the colon and 9 sheets. Looked like: myfile.xls:9 So how
do I correct this? Secondly, if I have two excel files open and I switch
them by looking on the task bar, I would prefer to view only the two files,
not all of the sheets as is happening now. Haven't figured out how to
accomplish this.

Would appreciate any help.
--
Bill W

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have inadvertantly added at least two windows with a view of the same
workbook through WindowNew Window.

If you go to Window you will see the list.

Hit CTRL + w untill only one remains.

Save that one.

To have two workbooks open side by side, open both then WindowNew Window.

WindowArrange to suit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP