Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lost "File Menu" - now it's "Edit / View / Insert.." but no "F

Neither of these is working for me. I lost the "Tools" button. Tried going
to ViewToolbarsCustomize, but it will not let me grab and drag "File" (or
any other words) to the Menu Bar.

Since "Tools" is gone, I obviously can't try the tip involving
ToolsCustomizeToolbars.

If it's any help, "Tools" vanished from my Excel Menu Bar at the same time
it vanished from Word (both programs were open at the time). I had the Word
cursor turn into something weird that looked like a box when I put it up to
any of the Menu Bar buttons, and it made "Tools" disappear from both Word and
Excel. Renaming my "Normal" file brought it back in Word, but not for Excel.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Nikki

I think Peo means ViewToolbarsCustomize. From the Built-in Menus grab
hold of the word "File" and drag to the Worksheet Menu Bar.

Another option.........

ToolsCustomizeToolbars. Select Worksheet Menu Bar and "Reset".

NOTE: this will undo any customizations you may have made.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:41:42 -0600, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Fileviewtoolbars and customize, then click command tab, in the left pane
scroll down to built in menus, in the right hand pane grab a hold (with the
lef mouse button) of the word Edit and drag it to where you want it,
release the mouse button, close the customize box

Done!

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Nikki R" <Nikki wrote in message
I accidentally grabbed the File menu (as in File / Edit / View / Insert /
Format...) in Excel 97 and dragged it. Now it's disappeared and I can't
figure out how to restore it. Can anyone help please?!?!
THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Right-click on your menu bar and select 'Customize'.
Then on the Toolbars tab, select the 'Worksheet Menu Bar' (just the words
but leave the check in the box).
Now, click Reset.

HTH,
Paul

wrote:

Fileviewtoolbars and customize, then click command tab, in the left
pane
scroll down to built in menus, in the right hand pane grab a hold (with
the
lef mouse button) of the word Edit and drag it to where you want it,
release the mouse button, close the customize box

Done!

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Nikki R" <Nikki wrote in message
I accidentally grabbed the File menu (as in File / Edit / View /
Insert /
Format...) in Excel 97 and dragged it. Now it's disappeared and I
can't
figure out how to restore it. Can anyone help please?!?!
THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Close Excel.

Search your computer for *.xlb file in which Excel saves customizations to
toolbars and menus.

Rename it to *.xxx or similar.

Restart Excel. It will build a new *.xlb file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Paul- Worked great, thanks so much!

Gord-Paul beat you to it here, but it was your tip in the Word group where I
figured out how to restore my "Tools" button in Word, so thanks so much to
you too!