-   -   Excel's file name incorrectly shows ":" and a number for # of shee (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/164650-excels-file-name-incorrectly-shows-number-shee.html)

aligatrjoe

Excel's file name incorrectly shows ":" and a number for # of shee

Wanting to understand why Excel adds a colon and a number for number of
sheets in its Title Bar. Really have two questions. First I deleted 7 of 9
sheets in an .xls file, resaved to a new file name, reloaded same and file
name still had the colon and 9 sheets. Looked like: myfile.xls:9 So how
do I correct this? Secondly, if I have two excel files open and I switch
them by looking on the task bar, I would prefer to view only the two files,
not all of the sheets as is happening now. Haven't figured out how to
accomplish this.

Would appreciate any help.
--
Bill W

RagDyeR

Excel's file name incorrectly shows ":" and a number for # of shee

That number following the colon in the Title bar is indicating how many
"Windows" exist of the WS.

Repeat :
<Ctrl < W

Until the number disappears ... THEN <Save

Each time you click on:
<Window <New Window

You create an additional copy of the WS, where you can then go to:
<Window <Arrange
And select a configuration to display concurrent, multiple views of the same
WS.
--

HTH,

RD

"aligatrjoe" wrote in message
Wanting to understand why Excel adds a colon and a number for number of
sheets in its Title Bar. Really have two questions. First I deleted 7 of 9
sheets in an .xls file, resaved to a new file name, reloaded same and file
name still had the colon and 9 sheets. Looked like: myfile.xls:9 So how
do I correct this? Secondly, if I have two excel files open and I switch
them by looking on the task bar, I would prefer to view only the two files,
not all of the sheets as is happening now. Haven't figured out how to
accomplish this.

Would appreciate any help.
--
Bill W

Gord Dibben

Excel's file name incorrectly shows ":" and a number for # of shee

You have inadvertantly added at least two windows with a view of the same
workbook through WindowNew Window.

If you go to Window you will see the list.

Hit CTRL + w untill only one remains.

Save that one.

To have two workbooks open side by side, open both then WindowNew Window.

WindowArrange to suit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:01:00 -0700, aligatrjoe
wrote:

Wanting to understand why Excel adds a colon and a number for number of
sheets in its Title Bar. Really have two questions. First I deleted 7 of 9
sheets in an .xls file, resaved to a new file name, reloaded same and file
name still had the colon and 9 sheets. Looked like: myfile.xls:9 So how
do I correct this? Secondly, if I have two excel files open and I switch
them by looking on the task bar, I would prefer to view only the two files,
not all of the sheets as is happening now. Haven't figured out how to
accomplish this.

Would appreciate any help.

aligatrjoe

Excel's file name incorrectly shows ":" and a number for # of

Both of you were very helpful. Thanks a lot.
--
Bill W