Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to make the active cell "pop out"

Is it possible to make the active cell more noticeable by either
having the active cell be a different color or have a darker border
around it?

I work on Excel spreadsheets on both a Mac and a PC. The PC active
cell is very noticeable but I have a hard time seeing that on the Mac
version. I tried filling in the table with a light background color
to see if the active cell would be a different color. It's not. Any
suggestions on how to make the active cell more noticeable.

I'm working with Microsoft Excell 2004 for Mac
Version 11.3.7
I have a 12" PowerBook G4. (The small screen doesn't help the problem)

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is one way

'----------------------------------------------------------------
'----------------------------------------------------------------
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With

---
HTH

Bob

"Julie27" wrote in message
ps.com...
Is it possible to make the active cell more noticeable by either
having the active cell be a different color or have a darker border
around it?

I work on Excel spreadsheets on both a Mac and a PC. The PC active
cell is very noticeable but I have a hard time seeing that on the Mac
version. I tried filling in the table with a light background color
to see if the active cell would be a different color. It's not. Any
suggestions on how to make the active cell more noticeable.

I'm working with Microsoft Excell 2004 for Mac
Version 11.3.7
I have a 12" PowerBook G4. (The small screen doesn't help the problem)

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FC FC is offline

Thanks for the code, it works perfect, however when I save anything now it
takes a lot of time to do it. Is that normal behavior because the macro ?
Another question : if I decide to remove it ( the macro ) how can I do it?
Apoligies Julie27 for barging in like this and thanks for the help Bob.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Here is one way

'----------------------------------------------------------------
'----------------------------------------------------------------
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With

---
HTH

Bob

"Julie27" wrote in message
ps.com...
Is it possible to make the active cell more noticeable by either
having the active cell be a different color or have a darker border
around it?

I work on Excel spreadsheets on both a Mac and a PC. The PC active
cell is very noticeable but I have a hard time seeing that on the Mac
version. I tried filling in the table with a light background color
to see if the active cell would be a different color. It's not. Any
suggestions on how to make the active cell more noticeable.

I'm working with Microsoft Excell 2004 for Mac
Version 11.3.7
I have a 12" PowerBook G4. (The small screen doesn't help the problem)

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It should be instantaneous, if it is slow there is something else going on.

To remove it, see http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros

--
---
HTH

Bob

"FC" wrote in message
Thanks for the code, it works perfect, however when I save anything now it
takes a lot of time to do it. Is that normal behavior because the macro ?
Another question : if I decide to remove it ( the macro ) how can I do it?
Apoligies Julie27 for barging in like this and thanks for the help Bob.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Here is one way

'----------------------------------------------------------------
'----------------------------------------------------------------
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With

---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Julie27" wrote in message
ps.com...
Is it possible to make the active cell more noticeable by either
having the active cell be a different color or have a darker border
around it?

I work on Excel spreadsheets on both a Mac and a PC. The PC active
cell is very noticeable but I have a hard time seeing that on the Mac
version. I tried filling in the table with a light background color
to see if the active cell would be a different color. It's not. Any
suggestions on how to make the active cell more noticeable.

I'm working with Microsoft Excell 2004 for Mac
Version 11.3.7
I have a 12" PowerBook G4. (The small screen doesn't help the problem)

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FC FC is offline

THANKS for the link.

"FC" wrote in message
Thanks for the code, it works perfect, however when I save anything now it
takes a lot of time to do it. Is that normal behavior because the macro ?
Another question : if I decide to remove it ( the macro ) how can I do it?
Apoligies Julie27 for barging in like this and thanks for the help Bob.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Here is one way

'----------------------------------------------------------------
'----------------------------------------------------------------
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With

---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Julie27" wrote in message
ps.com...
Is it possible to make the active cell more noticeable by either
having the active cell be a different color or have a darker border
around it?

I work on Excel spreadsheets on both a Mac and a PC. The PC active
cell is very noticeable but I have a hard time seeing that on the Mac
version. I tried filling in the table with a light background color
to see if the active cell would be a different color. It's not. Any
suggestions on how to make the active cell more noticeable.

I'm working with Microsoft Excell 2004 for Mac
Version 11.3.7
I have a 12" PowerBook G4. (The small screen doesn't help the problem)

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob, the code is beautiful. I have no clue what anything in the code
means but it works great. Thanks so much.

Will I need to add this code every time I create a new spreadsheet or
is there a way to have it be included in all future spreadsheets?

FC, no problem butting in. I'm glad others can benefit from my
dilemmas.

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, using that code you would have to add to all future sheets.

But if you add this variation to your Personal.xls workbook, it will be
available to all workbooks

Dim WithEvents App As Application

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Set App = Application
End Sub

Private Sub App_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal sh As Object, ByVal Target As
Range)
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With
End Sub

'This is workbook event code.

---
HTH

Bob

"Julie27" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bob, the code is beautiful. I have no clue what anything in the code
means but it works great. Thanks so much.

Will I need to add this code every time I create a new spreadsheet or
is there a way to have it be included in all future spreadsheets?

FC, no problem butting in. I'm glad others can benefit from my
dilemmas.

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But if you add this variation to your Personal.xls workbook, it will be
available to all workbooks

Forgive my stupidity but I don't know where to find my Personal.xls
workbook. I added the code that Bob first mentioned to a blank
worksheet and saved it as a template. I know that's not the same thing
but if I remember to open that template, I'll have it.

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may not have one.

If you never recorded a macro to your Personal Macro Workbook you won't.

Start up Excel and any workbook.

ToolsMacroRecord new macro.

When the record macro dialog opens select "Personal Macro Workbook" from "store
in" dropdown.

Do a couple of things like copy a cell from one place to another or similar.

Hit the stop recording button. Do not hit the "x" to stop recording.

You now have a Personal.xls stored in your Office XLSTART folder.

It will open hidden whenever Excel starts.

Your macros will be stored in there.

Hit Alt + F11 then CTRL + r to see the Personal.xls workbook and its modules.

Expand Microsoft Excel Objects by clicking on the + button.

Double-click on Thisworkbook module and paste Bob's code into that module.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:02:19 -0000, Julie27 wrote:

But if you add this variation to your Personal.xls workbook, it will be
available to all workbooks

Forgive my stupidity but I don't know where to find my Personal.xls
workbook. I added the code that Bob first mentioned to a blank
worksheet and saved it as a template. I know that's not the same thing
but if I remember to open that template, I'll have it.

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 6, 6:14 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

<snip
Hit Alt + F11 then CTRL + r to see the Personal.xls workbook and its modules.

I'm stuck on this line of the directions. I'm able to do hit ALT +
F11. The Window changes to Workbook1 at that point. When I hit CTRL +
r nothing happens. While in Word I was trying to do something that
involved the a CTRL key command and nothing happened there either. Is
there another way to get to the Expand MS Excel Objects without using
the CTRL key?

(Any clue why my CTRL key doesn't appear to do anything? It works fine
when I need to "right click.")

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you have gibbled the Alt and CTRL keys.

Have you tried a different keyboard?

Is your current keyboard programmable?

To reach the VBEditor go to ToolsCustomize and show the Visual Basic Toolbar.

There is a button on that toolbar that will take you to VBEditor.

If Project Explorer is not active, select ViewProject Explorer.

Gord

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:33:32 -0000, Julie27 wrote:

On Oct 6, 6:14 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

<snip
Hit Alt + F11 then CTRL + r to see the Personal.xls workbook and its modules.

I'm stuck on this line of the directions. I'm able to do hit ALT +
F11. The Window changes to Workbook1 at that point. When I hit CTRL +
r nothing happens. While in Word I was trying to do something that
involved the a CTRL key command and nothing happened there either. Is
there another way to get to the Expand MS Excel Objects without using
the CTRL key?

(Any clue why my CTRL key doesn't appear to do anything? It works fine
when I need to "right click.")

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob and Gord, you guys ROCK!!!

It took me a bit of time get it right but now it's working. YEAH!. Now
when I open Excel the active cell has a yellowish fill, even on old
files Thanks so much for the help. It will make a difference for me
when working in Excel.

Julie