Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Color Outline of Formula Cells

I have a bit of a dilema. You know how when you double click on a formula, it
will outline the cells involved in different colors? Well, I have a formula,
that when I double click, it will not outline the cells in color. I have
tried everything. Is there an option that I need to turn on that I am
missing? This workbook came from someone else and I do not know how to get
this particular function to work.

Any ideas or instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

sounds like the cell might be protected.
check tools-protection-and see if the sheet is protected.
if so, it depends on whether the author used a password to protect.

"Lost in Excel" wrote:

I have a bit of a dilema. You know how when you double click on a formula, it
will outline the cells involved in different colors? Well, I have a formula,
that when I double click, it will not outline the cells in color. I have
tried everything. Is there an option that I need to turn on that I am
missing? This workbook came from someone else and I do not know how to get
this particular function to work.

Any ideas or instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Actually rereading the question it is definately not protected. it is acting
as text instead of a formula.
check the format in format cell number and see if it is text. change if it
is.
then
select the equal sign and replace with another equal sign this will often
change text to a formula