Glenn

Default Adding formatted cells to an outline ?

To create an outlined spreadsheet you do the following.

1) In cell A1, write GROUP 1
2) Select rows 2 to 9
3) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group
4) In cell A10, write GROUP 2
5) Select rows 11 to 19
6) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group

To format the cells do the following
1) In cell B1, type TOTAL 1
2) Format the cell as =SUM(A2:A9)
3) In cell B10, TOTAL 2
4) Format the cell as =SUM(A11:A19)

If I now need to add cells to my TOTAL 1, I then need
to change the format of cell B1. Can this be done
automatically somehow?

Abi

Are you asking whether you need to update your total calculation each time
you add another row to your groups? If so, then no - this should
automatically happen.

"Glenn" wrote:

To create an outlined spreadsheet you do the following.

1) In cell A1, write GROUP 1
2) Select rows 2 to 9
3) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group
4) In cell A10, write GROUP 2
5) Select rows 11 to 19
6) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group

To format the cells do the following
1) In cell B1, type TOTAL 1
2) Format the cell as =SUM(A2:A9)
3) In cell B10, TOTAL 2
4) Format the cell as =SUM(A11:A19)

If I now need to add cells to my TOTAL 1, I then need
to change the format of cell B1. Can this be done
automatically somehow?

JulieD

Hi Glenn

if you change your formula for Group 1 to
=SUM(A1:A10)

if you insert a new row anywhere in group 1 the formula will automatically
adjust for group1 as well as group 2 (group 2 will adjust automatically
anyway)

Cheers
JulieD

"Glenn" wrote in message
To create an outlined spreadsheet you do the following.

1) In cell A1, write GROUP 1
2) Select rows 2 to 9
3) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group
4) In cell A10, write GROUP 2
5) Select rows 11 to 19
6) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group

To format the cells do the following
1) In cell B1, type TOTAL 1
2) Format the cell as =SUM(A2:A9)
3) In cell B10, TOTAL 2
4) Format the cell as =SUM(A11:A19)

If I now need to add cells to my TOTAL 1, I then need
to change the format of cell B1. Can this be done
automatically somehow?

Glenn

JulieD,

Thanks. It works. Only one other thing. I need to have my currency format
to remain when I add additional cells.

"Glenn" wrote in message
To create an outlined spreadsheet you do the following.

1) In cell A1, write GROUP 1
2) Select rows 2 to 9
3) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group
4) In cell A10, write GROUP 2
5) Select rows 11 to 19
6) From the main menu, select Data | Groups | Group

To format the cells do the following
1) In cell B1, type TOTAL 1
2) Format the cell as =SUM(A2:A9)
3) In cell B10, TOTAL 2
4) Format the cell as =SUM(A11:A19)

If I now need to add cells to my TOTAL 1, I then need
to change the format of cell B1. Can this be done
automatically somehow?

JulieD

Hi Glenn

glad it's working .. in ver 2002 / 2003 (not sure about earlier) there's an
option under tools / options / edit called
"extend data range formats and formulas"
if this is checked does it do what you want.

Cheers
JulieD