Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default pivot table and grouping

Last week I was able to get grouping to work in my pivot table and
made 2 reports. One for April and one for May. This week I am trying
to make one for JUne and one for July but I keep getting the error
message " cannot group that selection". I cannot figure out what I am
doing wrong. I have moved the date/time field to different places. I
have tried using just a date field. But nothing works.

Is there a resource online that I can learn more about using the pivot
tables and reports. Hopefully by practicing.

THanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

You will get that message if
1 You try to do the Grouping on a Page field (move it to a Row field, do the
grouping and move back)
2 If any cell within the range you are trying to group contains text (check
that your dates are all valid Excel dates, not text representations)
3 If there are any blank cells within the range (use dynamic ranges to
ensure you are not picking up blank rows)

For further help on PT's go to Debra Dalgleish's site
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
scroll down to Pivot Tables

Mike Alexander
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutori...9/Default.aspx
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"cricket7" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last week I was able to get grouping to work in my pivot table and
made 2 reports. One for April and one for May. This week I am trying
to make one for JUne and one for July but I keep getting the error
message " cannot group that selection". I cannot figure out what I am
doing wrong. I have moved the date/time field to different places. I
have tried using just a date field. But nothing works.

Is there a resource online that I can learn more about using the pivot
tables and reports. Hopefully by practicing.

THanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ed Ferrerohttp://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutorials/PivotTableTutorial2003/tabid/...
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"cricket7" wrote in message

ups.com...

Last week I was able to get grouping to work in my pivot table and
made 2 reports. One for April and one for May. This week I am trying
to make one for JUne and one for July but I keep getting the error
message " cannot group that selection". I cannot figure out what I am
doing wrong. I have moved the date/time field to different places. I
have tried using just a date field. But nothing works.

Is there a resource online that I can learn more about using the pivot
tables and reports. Hopefully by practicing.

THanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.
I went back to my data source and changed all blanks to dates and made
sure all the date formats were the same and nothing was text. I went
back to the pivot table and refreshed the table. I moved the field I
was trying to group to the row fields. Then I tried to group again.
I got the same error message. What can I try now?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had the same problem.

When I added more rows to the data range of a pivot table the grouping
by date was reset.
When I tried to regroup the data I got the error "Cannot Group The
Selection"

The only answer I could come up with was to reselect the data range
for the pivot and create a new pivot table

Regards

On Jul 25, 1:00 am, cricket7 wrote:
On Jul 23, 6:45 pm, "Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

You will get that message if
1 You try to do the Grouping on a Page field (move it to a Row field, do the
grouping and move back)
2 If any cell within the range you are trying togroupcontains text (check
that yourdatesare all validExceldates, not text representations)
3 If there are any blank cells within the range (use dynamic ranges to
ensure you are not picking up blank rows)

For further help on PT's go to Debra Dalgleish's sitehttp://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
scroll down toPivotTables

Mike Alexanderhttp://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

Ed Ferrerohttp://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutorials/PivotTableTutorial2003/tabid/...
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"cricket7" wrote in message

oups.com...

Last week I was able to get grouping to work in mypivottable and
made 2 reports. One for April and one for May. This week I am trying
to make one for JUne and one for July but I keep getting the error
message " cannotgroupthat selection". I cannot figure out what I am
doing wrong. I have moved the date/time field to different places. I
have tried using just a date field. But nothing works.

Is there a resource online that I can learn more about using thepivot
tables and reports. Hopefully by practicing.

THanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.
I went back to my data source and changed all blanks todatesand made
sure all the date formats were the same and nothing was text. I went
back to thepivottable and refreshed the table. I moved the field I
was trying togroupto the row fields. Then I tried togroupagain.
I got the same error message. What can I try now?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I'm sorry I missed your response until today.
If you are still having problems, mail me a copy of the workbook and I will
see if I can see what is wrong.
To mail direct send to

roger at technology4u dot co dot uk
Do the obvious with dot and at.

[...]