Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cricket7 cricket7 is offline

Default pivot table and grouping

On Jul 23, 6:45 pm, "Roger Govier" wrote:
Hi

You will get that message if
1 You try to do the Grouping on a Page field (move it to a Row field, do the
grouping and move back)
2 If any cell within the range you are trying to group contains text (check
that your dates are all valid Excel dates, not text representations)
3 If there are any blank cells within the range (use dynamic ranges to
ensure you are not picking up blank rows)

For further help on PT's go to Debra Dalgleish's sitehttp://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
scroll down to Pivot Tables

Mike Alexanderhttp://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

Ed Ferrerohttp://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutorials/PivotTableTutorial2003/tabid/...
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"cricket7" wrote in message

ups.com...

Last week I was able to get grouping to work in my pivot table and
made 2 reports. One for April and one for May. This week I am trying
to make one for JUne and one for July but I keep getting the error
message " cannot group that selection". I cannot figure out what I am
doing wrong. I have moved the date/time field to different places. I
have tried using just a date field. But nothing works.

Is there a resource online that I can learn more about using the pivot
tables and reports. Hopefully by practicing.

THanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.
I went back to my data source and changed all blanks to dates and made
sure all the date formats were the same and nothing was text. I went
back to the pivot table and refreshed the table. I moved the field I
was trying to group to the row fields. Then I tried to group again.
I got the same error message. What can I try now?