Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to open Office 2007 files using Office 2002 XP

When I try to open a file, I get a message that Windows cannot open the file
because it does not know which program created it. It askes me if I want to
use the web service to find the correct program or open a list of programs in
my computer and download it manually.
The file is one that ends in .xls

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=923505 "How to install the
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack so that you can use earlier versions
of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to open and to save files from 2007
Office programs".