Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to open files after installing Office 2007 refresh !!!

I installed the Office 2007 refresh today and am now unable to open any of my
excel files. I get the following message:

This error may appear because an antivirus program is not allowing the file
to open. This can be caused by either:
The antivirus program needs to be updated due to a compability problem with
this program.
There is a virus in the file but the antivirus program cannot properly
remove or process the virus that it has found.
In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated as
infected until you have updated your antivirus software to the latest updates
available from the vendor. All major antivirus software manufacturers have
created updates to address known compatibility problems with Microsoft Office
programs. They also usually provide a virus signature file that is available
for download from the Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan
for all known forms of viruses.
If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version of
antivirus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, connect to the
Internet and download the latest updates available from the manufacturer.
If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest version
of the software is installed, all signature files are up to date, and the
file will not open (but other files do), then the file may be infected with a
virus and the antivirus program cannot remove the infection.
The file could also be corrupt (damaged) and cannot be properly handled by
either the antivirus software or the affected Microsoft Office program. In
this case, it may be necessary to attempt recovery of the file using the
related recovery utilities that may be available with the program, although
not all program have file recovery or repair capabilities.
For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base
article 835404.

This message even comes up when I turn off my Anti-virus protection (NIS
2007). Any suggestions...i am not sure how to recover or open these files.

ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kat Kat is offline

If you are on Windows XP then please use System Restore to get the
previous version of MSOFFICE. You can do the same by Click Run -syscon
then in general - click on Launch System Restore.
A suggestion- while installing Office 2007, make sure you choose the
option to install instead of UPGRADE. This will give you both versions
of MSOFFICE.

rkisling wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the
Office Plugin that comes with it. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office
programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more
information.