NickLodge

Default Problem after installing Office SP3 on Office XP

After installing SP3 - which installs with no errors I have all sorts of
problems with office. When I try to start Excel I get a message "unable to
read file". If a try to open an existing excel document I get the same error
and the documment will not open.

In Word I get an error saying cannot open template,and when I try to close
it down it says "the file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the
existing file.

Does anybody have any ideas ??
Gord Dibben

Nick

Sounds like your file associations could be bad. Try re-registering these
Applications.

For Excel.........

First try the standard fix(es)......ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "ignore
other applications"

OR StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the /
mark).

You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround
with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver

For Word...........

StartRun "winword.exe /r" (no quotes and note the space before the /
mark). Again, you may have to enter the full path to winword.exe

Gord Dibben Excel MVP