Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing not summing

I've got a worksheet, and it references values in a second worksheet.
The values are transposed (via cell formula from the second worksheet)
onto the first worksheet.

When the cell formula is: ='sql link'!u3

The values from the second worksheet show up fine. So I have a column
of these:

='sql link'!u3
='sql link'!v3
='sql link'!w3
='sql link'!x3
='sql link'!y3

at the bottom I have a formula that sums those values:

=sum(d2:d6)

I get zero in that field, though the total of the values above do not
equal zero.

If I tried a test cell below the sum field:

=d2

and it correctly picks up the value of the field from the column above.
The sum field should work. Why isn't it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob Phillips wrote:
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

comes back with #VALUE!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

doofy wrote:
Bob Phillips wrote:
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

comes back with #VALUE!

This worked:

=d2+d3+d4+d5+d6

Odd.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mine was an array formula, so enter with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not just enter.

It is text, that is why SUM is failing.

--
HTH

Bob

"doofy" wrote in message
doofy wrote:
Bob Phillips wrote:
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

comes back with #VALUE!

This worked:

=d2+d3+d4+d5+d6

Odd.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Toppers wrote:
If fields are text .....

=SUM(d2:d6) will give 0 but =d2+d3+d4+d5+d6 will give correct result!

Gotcha. I'll check that.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Toppers wrote:
If fields are text .....

=SUM(d2:d6) will give 0 but =d2+d3+d4+d5+d6 will give correct result!

except its int's coming out of SQL Server, which is where I'm getting
the data from to fill the second worksheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
b&s b&s is offline

Another approach...if fields are text .....

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

"doofy" wrote:

[...]

pozdrav!
Berislav

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

b&s wrote:
Another approach...if fields are text .....

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

how do I make the fields NOT text? They are coming from a sqlsvr table
and into the second worksheet as int's. Is it just as simple as
formatting the cells of the first worksheet as number rather than general?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Changing the number format doesn't change the value in the cell.

I like this technique.
select an empty cell
edit|copy
select the range to fix
edit|paste special|click Add

doofy wrote:

b&s wrote:
Another approach...if fields are text .....

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

how do I make the fields NOT text? They are coming from a sqlsvr table
and into the second worksheet as int's. Is it just as simple as
formatting the cells of the first worksheet as number rather than general?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bob Phillips" wrote...
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

Should have used

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

but if these values would be used in other calculations, probably better to
make each of them numbers, so

=--'sql link'!u3
=--'sql link'!v3
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote...
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

Should have used

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

No I shouldn't, array SUM works.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bob Phillips" wrote...
"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote...
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

Should have used

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

No I shouldn't, array SUM works.

True, but I meant in the sense of avoiding unnecessary follow-up and
Care to check the frequency of OPs failing to catch the 'array formula'
caveats in responses they receive?

'Course if you like the unnecessary addition back & forth . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote...
"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote...
Try this array formula

=SUM(--D2:D6)

Should have used

=SUMPRODUCT(--D2:D6)

No I shouldn't, array SUM works.

True, but I meant in the sense of avoiding unnecessary follow-up and
formula. Care to check the frequency of OPs failing to catch the 'array
formula' caveats in responses they receive?

'Course if you like the unnecessary addition back & forth . . .

Almost as much as your good self <bg