Hélène

Default Negative Numbers in Brackets - HELP!

Hi,

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate. The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Peo Sjoblom

Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any aligment,
are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
text
you can also try

=ISTEXT(cell)

if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select the
numbers
and do paste special and select add.

Peo Sjoblom

"Hélène" wrote in message

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate.

The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show

in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Hélène

Thank you for your reply. They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any
alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.

I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all, except
for the "unregister/register", etc.

Could it be a bug?

"Hélène" wrote in message

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate.

The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show

in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Peo Sjoblom

Put -10 in a cell, select the cell, do formatcellsnumbercustom and use

General;(General)

what happens?

Peo Sjoblom

"Hélène" wrote in message

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get

my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am

desparate.
The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets

but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to

show
in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Batara

Hi Helene,

A couple of questions:

(a) I take it that right now negative numbers show up as if they were
positive, e.g., minus 35 shows up on your worksheet as "35." Correct?

(b) In Control Panel did you change the regional setting for numbers, for
currency, or for both?

Regards,

Batara

"Hélène" wrote in message

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate.

The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show

in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Gordon

Hélène wrote:
Hi,

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate. The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS
not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS
product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Hélène

Batara,

a) No the number shows as -10.
b) I changed both.

;0(

"Hélène" wrote in message

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate.
The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show
in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Hélène

Oh! Well, this is the first time I read this although, in this case, it
makes perfect sense... However, many times, on this site, the suggestion to
change the Windows settings was made. Interesting...

Well, in any case, I cannot find a way to force the custom formatting to
display negative numbers in brackets (no decimals, simple numbers).

Hélène

"Gordon" wrote:

Hélène wrote:
Hi,

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate. The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS
not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS
product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Hélène

Gordon, it seems that you were right after all. Windows settings have
nothing to do with this. Here's the solution: Go to Format, Style, Number
and apply this format: _ * # ##0_);_ * (# ##0);_ * "- "_);_ @_ .

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

Hélène

"Gordon" wrote:

Hélène wrote:
Hi,

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate. The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS
not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS
product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gord Dibben

Helene

Gordon is not correct.

Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.

Make the changes in Regional Settings to bracketed numbers and currency.

Excel must be closed and re-opened for changes to be seen in Excel.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Gordon" wrote:

Hélène wrote:
Hi,

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am desparate. The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS
not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS
product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Gord Dibben wrote:
Helene

Gordon is not correct.

Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.

Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY*
machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on
Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel
extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Gordon

Gordon wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:

Helene

Gordon is not correct.

Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.

Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY*
machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on
Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel
extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.

And I've never known it work for any of the hundreds of colleagues I've
worked with over those ten years either. EVERYONE has ALWAYS had to use
custom formats.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
IanRoy

1234Hi all;

On my Windows XP Home:
Start Control Panel Regional and Language Options Regional Options
"English (United States) Customize
Numbers Negative number format: -1.1
Currency Negative currency format: ($1.1)
I switch to Excel 2003.
Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to
currency, it shows ($10.00). Both happen to match the Windows regional
settings. Is that a coincidence? I'm not curious enough to change those, as
they suit me for a default, but I've never had a problem formatting a
negative number with brackets, and without going all the way to a Format
Cells Number Custom.
Format Cells Number Number Negative numbers
shows -1,234.10 in black, then the same in red, then (1,234.10) in black,
followed by (1,234.10) in red. This matches my admittedly poor memory of
previous versions of Excel. Choosing the black with brackets and reducing the
decimal places to zero shows the format preview (1,234), and results in (10)
displayed in the cell.
Going to Format Cells Number Custom
on that cell now shows: #,##0_);(#,##0)
a far cry from: _ * # ##0_);_ * (# ##0);_ * "- "_);_ @_ .
I am real curious as to why it was not that simple for Hélène. I don't
suppose anyone knows?

Regards,
Ian.

"Gordon" wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:

Helene

Gordon is not correct.

Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.

Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY*
machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on
Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel
extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.

And I've never known it work for any of the hundreds of colleagues I've
worked with over those ten years either. EVERYONE has ALWAYS had to use
custom formats.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gord Dibben

Ian

Not a coincidence.

Gord(not Gordon)

"Gordon" wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:

Helene

Gordon is not correct.

Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.

Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY*
machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on
Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel
extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.

And I've never known it work for any of the hundreds of colleagues I've
worked with over those ten years either. EVERYONE has ALWAYS had to use
custom formats.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

IanRoy wrote:
1234Hi all;

On my Windows XP Home:
Start Control Panel Regional and Language Options Regional Options
"English (United States) Customize
Numbers Negative number format: -1.1
Currency Negative currency format: ($1.1)
I switch to Excel 2003.
Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to
currency, it shows ($10.00).

In my version of Excel 2002, when you Format cells to currency, you have
to choose a format! Either -£ or (£) - there's no "generic" format for
currency. And an ordinary negative number, ie NOT currency STILL DOES
NOT USE THE REGIONAL SETTINGS! IT NEVER HAS!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Dave Peterson

Close excel

Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
to show ($1.1)

Open excel

If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
numbers.

They do for me.

Close excel

Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
to show -$1.1

Open excel

If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
numbers.

They do not for me.

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

I'm staying the hell out of this one<g

Don't wish to upset the other Gordon and his hundreds of colleagues.

Gord

Gordon wrote:

IanRoy wrote:
1234Hi all;

On my Windows XP Home:
Start Control Panel Regional and Language Options Regional Options
"English (United States) Customize
Numbers Negative number format: -1.1
Currency Negative currency format: ($1.1)
I switch to Excel 2003.
Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to
currency, it shows ($10.00).

In my version of Excel 2002, when you Format cells to currency, you have
to choose a format! Either -£ or (£) - there's no "generic" format for
currency. And an ordinary negative number, ie NOT currency STILL DOES
NOT USE THE REGIONAL SETTINGS! IT NEVER HAS!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Dave Peterson wrote:
Close excel

Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
to show ($1.1)

Open excel

If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
numbers.

They do for me.

They do. That's NOT the point I was making. the point I was making, is
that in Lotus, if Regional Settings are set to (1.1), then when you
enter -1.1 in a cell, it is AUTOMATICALLY formatted to (1.1) - you don't
have to DO anything!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Gordon

Gord Dibben wrote:
I'm staying the hell out of this one<g

Don't wish to upset the other Gordon and his hundreds of colleagues.

Gord

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here! Yes, if regional settings
are set to (1.1) then in Format Cells-Numbers then yes there is a format
(1.1). My point was, that in Lotus, if Regional settings are set to
(1.1) and you enter -1.1 in a cell, then Lotus AUTOMATICALLY formats it
to (1.1) - you don't have to DO anything. Excel has NEVER done that.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk