Hélène

I did as suggested and nothing happens, i.e., the format stays at -10.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Put -10 in a cell, select the cell, do formatcellsnumbercustom and use

General;(General)

what happens?

Peo Sjoblom

"Hélène" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any
alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.

I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all,

except
for the "unregister/register", etc.

Could it be a bug?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any

aligment,
are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
text
you can also try

=ISTEXT(cell)

if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select

the
numbers
and do paste special and select add.

Peo Sjoblom

"Hélène" wrote in message

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get

my
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works. I am

desparate.
The
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets

but
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to

show
in
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.