Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hiding Formulas when the value is "0"?

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could enclose your formula within an IF statement, like this:

=IF(formula=0,"",formula)

So, if the formula results in a 0, a blank will be returned, otherwise the
results of the formula will be returned.

HTH,
Elkar

"Dallas MBA" wrote:

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you want to keep your formuls as is but just not display the zeros, try:

Tools Options View and clear the zero values checkbox.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200709

"Dallas MBA" wrote:

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could also hide the 0's in that range:

select that range
format|Cells|number tab|Custom category
General;-General;;@
(positive number;negative numbers;0's;text)

But if you select a cell with 0 and look at the formula bar, you'll still see 0.

Dallas MBA wrote:

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just need 3 cells to sum and if they are not filled then the formula cell
need to be blank. Some how I'm messing up. in cell I8 I want =SUM(F8:H8) but
if the cells a empty I dont want the 0 the formula creates. HELP!!

"Dallas MBA" wrote:

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For your question of empty cells..............

=IF(COUNT(F8:H8)=0,"",SUM(F8:H8))

What would you want to see if all or some are filled but add up to 0?

Maybe........................

=IF(SUM(F8:H8)=0,"",SUM(F8:H8))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Dallas MBA" wrote:

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried Conditional Formatting for the selected cells?

Format
Conditional Formatting

Condition 1 - Cell Value is equal to 0
then select Format/Font/Color/White

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would like to have zeros displayed if the actual value is zero, but NOT if
values have not been put into that particular row yet. for example i have a
cell that i want to equal B4 x G4. i then copy and pasted it for the entire
column. i do not have values in for B17 or G17 yet, but it displayes a zero
for this sum already, so my whole page is filled with zeros. Anything I can
do about this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In CF, use "Formula Is": =COUNT(B4,G4)<2 as your white condition.

Alternatively change your cell formula from =B4*G4 to
=IF(COUNT(B4,G4)=2,B4*G4,"")
--
David Biddulph

SUNBUM wrote:
I would like to have zeros displayed if the actual value is zero, but
NOT if values have not been put into that particular row yet. for
example i have a cell that i want to equal B4 x G4. i then copy and
pasted it for the entire column. i do not have values in for B17 or
G17 yet, but it displayes a zero for this sum already, so my whole
page is filled with zeros. Anything I can do about this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dears; I have the same problem with lenghty formulas as
AVERAGEIF($C$5:$C$155,"mar",P6:P156) and it gives me#DIV/0! error until the
cell value is zero.
I would appreciate if you kindly assist.
best regards
Jamal

"Dallas MBA" wrote:

Does anyone know if Excel allows you to hide a formula when the result of the
formula equals "0"? I have a huge spreadsheet that makes it difficult to
briefly scan the report and locate number values greater than "0" because
there are so many formulas that equal "0".

Existing View: 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0

Preferred View: 4 1 7

I don't want to see the zeros as in the "Existing View" above and want the
spreadsheet to appear like "Preferred View". I want to keep the formulas in
the cells that equal "0", therefore I don't want to delete them to make the
cells look blank. Any feedback is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might try
=IF(ISERROR(AVERAGEIF($C$5:$C$155,"mar",P6:P156)), "",AVERAGEIF($C$5:$C$155,"mar",P6:P156))
but I can't test it as AVERAGEIF is an Excel 2007 function.
--
David Biddulph