Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Import Question

I currently have a spreadsheet that I need to have saved as a .txt file for a
program to read. I can do this, but when I open the .txt file, one column,
Description, is causing all of the other data to be misaligned. I've tried
the text to columns-delimited and fixed width, but I don't think I'm doing it
right. Can someone help me.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is the way the current data is being outputed as:
Revenue CPT Allow Allow as
Dept Item# Description Price Cost Code Code Links a Link Usage
101 1 INCOMING FAXES 0 0 998 C
101 9999 AFTER HOURS 0 0 998 C
305 3 SEMI PRIVATE R&C(PCC) 1819 813.34 123 99219 R
305 11 OP OBSERVATION (PCC) 1854 816.19 762 99218 C
310

as you can see, the description field overlaps into the price column and
causes a snowball affect for everything else.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

If you show us a few lines of the txt as examples of your data, we may be
able to help.
--
David Biddulph

"metaltecks" wrote in message
I currently have a spreadsheet that I need to have saved as a .txt file for
program to read. I can do this, but when I open the .txt file, one column,
Description, is causing all of the other data to be misaligned. I've tried
the text to columns-delimited and fixed width, but I don't think I'm doing
it
right. Can someone help me.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In that format you're not going to be able to make sense of it. You need to
save as comma delimited, or tab delimited, or (if you make the columns wide
enough) space delimited [but I wouldn't recommend the latter if you're
trying to import into another application].

See what form the program that's going to read the data needs.

Which of Excel's "Save As" options have you been using so far?